Photo: wikitimes

Warwick places second in the country for Economics

Warwick placed second-best in the country for Economics in the latest UK university league tables, released by the Complete University Guide.

The rankings compared universities on research quality, student satisfaction, graduate prospects and entry requirements, drawing their data from the National Students Survey 2014 and the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA).

The University of Warwick moved up one place from last year to rank seventh among UK universities overall, placing just behind Scotland’s University of St Andrews, and just ahead of the University of Surrey.

In the individual subject categories, Warwick performed particularly well in Economics, moving up two places to second, overtaking the University of Oxford on student satisfaction and graduate prospects.

Student satisfaction “not the strongest criteria”

Warwick fell behind the University of Cambridge, who took the top spot on all three criteria, except student satisfaction.

Close behind in the rankings were the London School of Economics, which fell two places to fourth, and University College London closing the top five.

First-year Economics undergraduate, Tim Lynch, told the Boar that he was pleased with the results, but questioned the relevance of some of the criteria: “There’s an element of the rankings not being representative.

“I think we’re up there, but I’m not sure that student satisfaction is the strongest criteria to measure where we stand against other universities.