Image: The Belgrade Theatre

Quick Review: Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

From the moment I heard Andrew Lloyd Webber’s infamous music blaring from the orchestra I felt butterflies in my stomach as I was sent back to childhood memories of a musical I loved growing up. Despite my excitement I feel the overture could have been shortened as the audience sat impatiently for some time waiting for the show to begin.

X factor stars took on the leads with Amelia Lily as the Narrator and Lloyd Daniels playing Joseph. I had doubts about the translation of their pop voices to Musical Theatre, however this did not seem to faze either one of the X factor stars sang with confidence and ease. Lloyd Daniels’ comfort on stage grew throughout the show, although clearly a little offset to begin with he found his own and took control of the stage. His voice carried his performance beautifully and his welsh accent added a lovely quirky dimension.

The Narrator’s costume was tasteless and looked cheap, which was distracting throughout the performance. I felt the production team needed not cut costs as they clearly had a large enough budget with a ridiculous singing camel and a large singing Pharaoh head with somewhat unsettling red eyes. I was also confused as to why Joseph wore UGG boots for the entirety of the production. As the leads I would have expected as much from these costumes as the rest of the company if not more.

The chorus were strong and their talent came through clearly when they performed as a gospel choir during Go, Go, Go Joseph as some stepped out to deliver solos. Their talent in dancing was also evident however they were let down by the choreography which felt too simple and repetitive not brining enough visual excitement.

Pharaoh brought to us a feel of Hollywood entertainment played by Eastenders star Matt Lapinskas. His performance delivered fun and laughter to the audience but at times felt as though it was bordering on pantomime, undermining his talent.

The music is so well written that it’s difficult not to enjoy Joseph, as the script takes you around the world to various settings, it feels exciting! This production was colourful and entertaining as Joseph should be. Beautiful moments brought warmth to my heart, such as Joseph reuniting with his Father, Jacob.

Pharaoh’s reprise as a finale to the show confirmed it’s great family friendly entertainment factor that perhaps is not something students would immediately jump at, however the talent that shone through in the cast’s voices was something not to be missed by any age group!