Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Album Review: Circa Waves – Young Chasers

CW_YCA_SLEEVE-1024x1024Granted, the title of the debut LP from this exuberant Liverpudlian four-piece does somewhat give it away, but it is both the most unavoidable and the most charming element of this album: ‘Young Chasers’ is very much an ode to youth, even a romanticisation thereof.

Kieran Shudall’s lyrics are littered with references to the joys that accompany being young, but also the fears of such golden years slipping away. All throughout the album, there is an evident nostalgia for the restless days of not being able to sleep “while the sun’s awake”, and singing “lungs out in the backseat together”, as lauded on the brilliant recent single ‘T-Shirt Weather’. However, for every happy memory, there is a nervous look towards the future; “I’m a little too young with not enough time”, Shudall suggests on the buoyant and remarkably likeable single ‘Stuck In My Teeth’. “I’m holding out to gracefully grow old”, he claims on frantic opener ‘Get Away’.

Ironically, Circa Waves need not view the future with such apprehension, as theirs is undoubtedly bright. It would be too easy to dismiss Young Chasers as a typical indie record, full of fast, short, and breezy tracks, whilst not bringing much originality to the table; the songwriting on display here is deceivingly intelligent, packing almost every tune with a catchy chorus, sharp guitars, and frenetic drumming, thus conjuring up an infectious energy. All of these elements convey the titular youth of the album, and are polished off with a distinctive voice – all the ingredients necessary for a successful indie band. However, it is the emotional undercurrent flowing beneath the veneer of upbeat indie-pop that proves to be Circa Waves most effective weapon.

Instantly, you’re on their side and wish to help them through their travails, as you suspect they’d do the same for you

“My heart is torn is up”, declares Kieran Shudall within seconds of the album beginning, and it is possibly the last thing any listener would expect to hear following the surging, Maccabees-esque guitars that precede the line, but – as with every lyric on this record – it is delivered with the utmost sincerity, and one cannot help but sympathise. See, you just can’t help but root for the guys. Instantly, you’re on their side and wish to help them through their travails, as you suspect they’d do the same for you, as is suggested on album highlight ‘So Long’, on which Shudall and co. attempt to comfort an anguished companion; “I can see you thinking about her, until your soul’s been took”, “but I couldn’t blame you, you’re a much better man than me”, they opine, warm-heartedly. The band even laments homesickness on the Jurassic Park-inspired, insistent single ‘Fossils’, proving that they have an undeniable knack for fusing excitement and emotion (plus a good sense of humour). Something else that should not be overlooked, is that ‘Young Chasers’ has been released within two years of the band forming, showing that the group has the ability to write not only well, but also prolifically.

Truthfully, upon hearing this record, you’ll know as well as they do that they’re going to emerge from this time of seeming uncertainty unscathed, and probably even better situated than ever before to achieve something tremendous. Comparisons to The Strokes may warrant pressure, but (whisper it), it’s not too difficult to see why such similarities have been drawn. Ultimately, as suggested on the album’s title track, you’ll have to “make your own mind up” on that, but for the meantime, just enjoy it as they “chase you through the streets”, because right now, nothing sounds more exhilarating.

Key tracks: ‘T-Shirt Weather’, ‘Fossils’, ‘So Long’