SLO County Bicycle Coalition / Flickr

SU offers free cycle maintenance classes

Warwick Students’ Union will be providing free cycle maintenance classes for both students and staff this month.

The maintenance classes are part of an initiative to encourage more students to use bicycles as their main form of transport. The initiative was introduced by the 2014 Environment and Ethics Officer, Dan Goss.

The event will be run through BikeRight!, a cycle training organisation which aims to make, “cycling viable, safer and better”. The events will be funded by the Cycle Coventry project.

Throughout March there will be three maintenance classes. This will be the last set of bike maintenance classes directly available to Warwick students and staff.

The first session was on March 5, and focused on punctures. This session taught participants how to remove a wheel or tyre and how to then repair the puncture safely.

The next session on March 12 will focus on the topic of brakes. This event will allow participants to learn how to adjust brakes, as well as learning how to replace the brake pads.

The final event on March 19 and will then focus on the adjustment of gears. This is key as participants will learn how to keep their bike gears running smoothly and safely.

Each of the sessions will last around two hours, and all participants will have a chance for hands-on practice and experience during the time at the session.