Photo: Flickr/John Biehler

Saturday Night Live Anniversary Highlights

[dropcap]S[/dropcap]aturday Night Live (SNL) had its 40th anniversary on February 15. It was a truly iconic moment for comedy and television, as well as the entire American entertainment industry.

The show was aired by NBC and was a three and a half hour spectacle, beginning with a red carpet event at Radio City followed by the live sketch show at Studio 8H.  Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon opened the show with a musical number and were followed by Steve Martin who introduced an array of comedians, actors, and musicians who have been a part of the show’s history. From then on we saw our favorite entertainers unite under one roof to provide us with some world-class humor. Here are some of the most memorable moments:

kanye taylor - flickr remolachaoficial

Photo: Flickr/Remolachaoficial

Betty White and Bradley Cooper kissed

This was part of a Hi-larious sketch, ‘The Californians’, which included Kristen Wiig and the regular cast, joined by Taylor Swift and Bradley Cooper in putting on fake, over-the-top Californian accents, in blonde wigs, acting as ‘Californian’ as possible. Though the audience was in hysterics throughout the sketch, the unexpected kiss at the end really made them go wild.

Adam Sandler joined Andy Samberg in his Digital Shot

This short musical number performed by two SNL alums titled ‘That’s When You Break’ mocked how cast members actually break into laughter while delivering their skits live!

Kanye West’s Beyoncé obsession was addressed twice

Following a recent incident at the Grammys — involving Kanye once again proclaiming Beyoncé is the best singer in the world and deserves to win best artist at the Grammys — Kanye was mocked not once but twice! The first reference to this was made when Maya Rudolph delivered her impeccable Beyoncé impression and then again in the Skit ‘Wayne’s World’. Kanye himself performed in the show and was also seen laughing in the audience — not taking offence to the mocking.

Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David had a Litte Reunion Moment

Jerry Seinfeld delivered a mock Q and A session where he answered questions from several celebrities including his ex boss, the creator of Seinfeld Larry David. The two reminisced on their hit show for a few short moments — it was quite heartwarming to watch for me, as it would probably be for most Seinfeld fans.

poehler fey - flickr SynergyByDesign

Photo: Flickr/SynergyByDesign

Sarah Palin was there

Sarah Palin’s presence was quite memorable, as she has been the subject of many of Tina Fey’s impersonations. There was a whole segment on SNL targeting Sarah Palin and Hilary Clinton, played by Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. Palin herself finds these sketches hilarious and wasn’t even offended when Jerry Seinfeld addressed her as ‘Tina Fey’ during the mock Q and A round.

Birdman’s actors Emma Stone and Ed Norton got the chance to be their favorite SNL characters, and so did Melissa McCarthy

Emma Stone did her impersonation of Roseanne Roseannadanna, originally played by Gilda Radner — a cast member from 40 years ago — and Ed Norton did a Stefon impression. The real Stefon, Bill Hader, critiqued him while he was still in character. However, nothing beat Melissa McCarthy’s Matt Foley impression (tribute to the late Chris Farley) — she even daringly dove into the news desk, cutting it in half.

All the Memories

Some of the best moments of SNL since 1975 were shown; many cast members, hosts, and guests who have performed on the show for the past 40 years re-united. Bill Murray, one of the oldest members of SNL was there, as were Eddie Murphy and Chris Rock, as well as Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Jimmy Fallon, Miley Cyrus and Adam Sandler — just to name a few big names who have been cast members, hosts or have performed on Saturday Night Live.

Just to conclude, if some awful giant asteroid were to have struck studio 8H that night, the world would be devoid of most of its humor.

new_twitter_logoWhat was your favourite part of the Saturday Night Live anniversary? Or what has been your favourite moment over the show’s 40 years? Leave a comment below, or tweet us @BoarTelevision to let us know!