The cheesiest Boar love image ever; photo: anonymous

Editor’s Letter: “A year of an impassioned affair”

When I first laid eyes on Boar News, I was a fresher in term one. I remember one of my first articles was about plans for a new WBS building; two years later, it is finally under construction. I also remember barely making my interview for the deputy position – now I wonder, what if I had not?

Today, News is my baby. Perhaps I love the section too much; perhaps I have neglected my degree (just a little) as a finalist and I am still unable to let go.

When I became News editor last year, I wanted to show readers that news could be exciting and vibrant; it could be told through statistics, infographics, photos and videos.

I wanted to show readers that news could be exciting and vibrant; it could be told through statistics, infographics and videos

So much of my energy was also focused on building its online interaction. I developed my own pull-quotes and image galleries for online articles; I created online subsections and subpages; and I recreated the News webpage.

I also hoped to develop the section’s focus on higher education politics and social issues on campus. Dennis Leech will be able to tell you that the Boar has never grown tired of UCU-related news.

Sexism in particular was something I could not let slip under the radar. Within my first few weeks as News editor, I refused a radio presenter’s plea for us not to publish a story on his inappropriate remark; and this year, I went against all odds to report on a complaint against the Football Club’s offensive chants.

But being News editor over the year has been tough. You must choose which stories are relevant to tell. People who associate you with ‘the media’ become distant, groups restrict information from you, articles submitted late make your life much harder, and you will have to drop everything in order to break a story.

Being News editor over the year has been tough. You must choose which stories are relevant to tell

Being part of the Boar family has, however, been an experience that I would not, for anything, take back. I have made so many friends through the society that will no doubt remain with me for life.

I would like to thank my deputies for their hard work and for having survived a slightly temperamental and demanding News editor.

Whether or not I have left a legacy for future generations is unimportant. Instead, I am stepping down as head of News with the hope that I have made the section what I intended to make it during my time.

It has been a year of an impassioned affair with Boar News. My heart breaks as it tells me that we are to part ways and I watch as it runs off to its new editors Connor O’Shea and Arthi Nachiappan.

To all the future news team, I wish you all the best.