Photo: OnceAndFutureLaura / Flickr

University of Warwick agrees to pay Prof Docherty’s legal costs

The University of Warwick has agreed to pay the legal costs of Prof Docherty’s case. He was suspended by the University over claims that on three occasions he projected negative body language and made insubordinate comments.

Following a tribunal, Prof Docherty, a professor of English and Comparative Literature, was found innocent of all charges including the use of ironic language, and cleared of undermining the authority of his former head of department.

The cost of the tribunal and of barristers representing the University, came to £43,000.

Prof Docherty’s costs were £55,000 plus VAT. It is understood that prior to the tribunal, the University informed Prof Docherty that they would be represented by barristers, prompting him to hire his own at extra cost.

Whilst the total costs to the University now exceed £100,000, it has declined to disclose how much the legal action has cost in total.

The University stated that it employs the firm SGH Martineau on an annual retainer, where costs are not paid in relation to individual cases.

According to University Statute, a tribunal may be established, “if there has been no satisfactory improvement following a written warning, or in any other case where it is alleged that conduct or performance may constitute good cause for dismissal or removal from office.”

It was reported that prior to the tribunal Professor Docherty did not receive any oral or written warning.

The University of Warwick, issuing a joint statement with Professor Docherty, stated: “there are lessons to be learned in terms of its processes and procedures and is taking positive action to address these.”