Photo: Street@SarahSmith

Students set to face more roadworks

Twelve weeks of roadworks are due to take place near to Warwick University as Coventry city council plans to make changes to the Canley roundabout on the A45.

The roadworks are scheduled to take place at Sir Henry Parkes Road near to the fire station. The work will cause a new set of delays for drivers and Warwick University students.

The city council aims to develop this junction in order to improve access to the University for motorists and pedestrians. Their website states that “the shape of the roundabout will be altered by adding an extra lane to allow two lanes of traffic to turn right.”

As a consequence, work is expected to be carried out for seven days a week.

Alongside these alterations, a set of temporary traffic lights will be installed which are set to cause delays from January 26 onward. A temporary speed limit of 40 miles per hour will also be put into place which will be monitored and enforced by local police.

This new set of roadworks will be undertaken in conjunction with existing works taking place around Coventry and near to the University. Students living in Coventry or Canley should consequently allow for extra time on journeys.

The Highways Agency website encourages drivers to allow up to ten minutes extra travel time as congestion is anticipated and advises motorists ‘”to follow any diversions and not to use their Satellite Navigation Systems”.

Olivia Gillard, a first-year psychology student, said: “It is impractical to carry out so many roadworks during term time as it causes too many disruptions to university students.

“With other works already taking place around Coventry it seems unreasonable to start new ones before others are completed.”

Claire Fuller, a first-year psychology student, commented that: “Drivers are allowed to use the bus lane which eases traffic around the area which is good.”

Provisions are being taken to minimise the disruption. “The works are being undertaken outside of the busiest periods whenever possible”, according to Coventry city council.

Phoebe-Murphy Dunne, a first-year philosophy and literature student, said that “as long as the roadworks fulfill their purpose, they’re completely justified.”

The works are part of a £106 million project and disruptions are expected to last for more than 12 weeks.