Photo: barnyz / Flickr

Happy days, expensive nights: Kenilworth Castle

[dropcap]K[/dropcap]enilworth Castle is one of the largest ruined castles in Britain and is perfect for an interesting and affordable day out. Located in Kenilworth, the castle dates back to the 12th century but is well known for being the 16th century residence of Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester and Queen Elizabeth I’s close friend and suitor. Famously, it was also the setting for Sir Walter Scott’s 1821 romantic novel Kenilworth which follows the romance of Elizabeth and Dudley.

Steeped in rich history, the castle is extensive and includes Elizabeth’s private apartment block which was erected by Dudley between 1571 and 1572; she used these apartments several times and her 1575 visit, which was her last, was a lengthy 19 days. Dudley also created a private garden for Elizabeth and in 2009 a recreation of the Elizabethan garden was opened, complete with marble fountain and aviary – without a doubt in the Spring and Summer months this will be particularly beautiful. Another notable section of the castle is John Gaunt’s great hall, kitchens and Saintlowe Tower. Gaunt, the first Duke of Lancaster, was the fourth son of King Edward III and he built extensively on the castle grounds in the 14th century. The castle has buildings from different time periods which add an extra layer of history, leading to an engaging experience. It is also possible to walk to the top of some of the towers, offering picturesque views of the landscape.

English Heritage has managed the castle since 1984 and it is currently open to the public on the weekends from 10am to 4pm. However, from 1 April 2015 until 30 September 2015 the castle will be open every day of the week from 10am to 6pm. Tickets for students are £8.40 and this is good value for money considering how much there is to explore on the site. I recently visited the castle and had a brilliant day out which was refreshingly quiet with no large crowds. If you want a bite to eat during your visit, the castle boasts a tearoom which serves an array of cakes, some light lunch food and of course tea and drinks.

A trip to Kenilworth Castle is much cheaper than a night out and is perfectly suited to anyone who enjoys history and learning about the past. There is no other historical site which is so well situated, only 20 minutes from both University campus and Leamington Spa.

If you have a suggestion for a great student day out that costs less than a night out, and would like to see your name in the Boar, email travel@theboar.org with your idea.