All photos: April Roach, all graphics: Ann Yip

SU election results: who will Leigh-d next year?

Last night, 10pm Friday 27 February, results for the Students’ Union (SU) elections were announced in the Copper Rooms. A total of 5184 people voted in the elections and the results party attracted an estimated turnout of 80.

Elected part-time officers were announced at the start of the evening:

• Ethnic minorities officer: Nia-Cerise Conteh
  • LGBTUA+ officer: Rachel Buckley-Taylor
  • Women’s officer: Josie Throup
  • Disabled students officer: Jenny Wheeler
  • Environment and ethics officer: Matt Greenham
  • Undergraduate arts representative: Emily Dunford
  • Undergraduate engineering and experimental sciences representative: Lokesh Gupta
  • Undergratuate social sciences representative: Cindy Asokan

The evening proceeded with the announcement of elected sabbatical officers (click to jump to section).

There were also concerns by students and others that all of the sabbatical team will be white and male only.

Check out our comedic take on the elections with Luke Brown’s Election Clockwatch too.

Isaac Leigh was elected next year’s SU president with 1945 votes, 717 votes more than runner-up Dan Goss with 1228 votes. Next up was Andy King with 939 votes and in fourth place was Stanley Dodd.

Mr Leigh is currently SU societies officer. He was previously Sports editor for the Boar, presenter at Radio at Warwick, and a member of the Warwick Athletics club.

He said: “I’m really emotional. I’ve had a fantastic week. It’s been a privilege to be part of this whole campaign and I’m just so so happy that all the hard work has paid off.

“I want to sort out the buses, I want to sort the University management…”

In his victory speech, he said:

Cat, you’ve been my inspiration. You made me run for this. I didn’t believe I could do this. At the start of the year, I was like, I’m going to do societies and I’m going to do my very best. But somehow I’m here and I don’t know how. Thank you so much for that, I love you.

Isaac Leigh speaking after the announcement of results for president

Cat Turhan, current SU president commented: “I couldn’t be happier that Isaac’s won. He’ll ensure the union will have a voice.”

Chloe Wynne, women’s officer candidate, second-year History student and also Mr Leigh’s partner, said: “All week I knew it was a one horse race. He is the only man who could do this. He isn’t militant nor inexperienced.”

Meanwhile, presidential candidate Stanley Dodd who came in fourth place was unfazed by his loss. He said: “It’s brilliant that 140 people believed in me, that’s 20 x 7. Isaac is amazing. It’s what he deserves.”

Charlie Hindhaugh was elected education officer for 2015-16 with a total of 1386 votes. 146 votes behind was Maisie Hallam. In third place was Jasmine Jones with 1058, and 78 people voted to re-open nominations.

Mr Hindhaugh is currently a fourth-year Politics and International studies student.

He said:

I’m absolutely overwhelmed. It’s been a few minutes since they announced it and it’s still quite a shock.

“I want to get ‘Rate My Module’ going, it means getting your module choices a bit easier. And I really want to prioritise mental health, and getting well-being stands in the library. This is something I really strongly campaigned on, and it’s something that I think will make a difference to students.”

Charlie Hindhaugh overwhelmed on stage

In his speech, he thanked his campaign team: “The dedication you guys put in has been amazing. And of course I couldn’t have done it without you, Will, my campaign manager.”

Alex Denning, second-year Politics and International studies student, commented: “I’m literally speechless. Charlie has worked so hard for so long for this. He’ll do a fantastic job.”

Nat Panda was elected postgraduate officer with 1709 votes, surpassing current officer Andrew Thompson who gained 1451 votes in his re-election. Meanwhile, Prisca Wharton was third place with 499 votes.

Mr Panda is currently a fourth-year PhD Statistics student.

He told the Boar:

[I feel] amazing, a little spaced out. Really surreal. I just can’t stop smiling.

“I hope to do things for students and that’s to improve the lives of all students here but particularly all postgraduates. So fair pay for postgrads has got to be high up that list and improving housing for postgrads as well”

Next year’s postgraduate officer Nat Panda speaking

Mr Panda kept his speech short, saying: “It’s unbelievable, it doesn’t seem real. Thank you so much to all the team and to the other candidates. We had such a good race this week and to everyone, thank you so much.”

Oliver Cooper, second-year History undergraduate, commented from the crowd: “I was expecting [Andrew Thompson] to win, like most people. Andrew’s great. [But] I know Nat Panda and he’s a great.”

Miguel Costa Matos, third-year Economics undergraduate, said: “Nat is the man who has the best experience and priorities. We are blessed with how students have voted.”

For democracy and development officer, current Student Council chair Oliver Rice was elected with 1470 votes, just 71 votes ahead of runner-up Katie Bergstrom. Tom Diamond came in third with 513 and Cayo Costa Sobral fourth with 244 votes.

Mr Rice is also a fourth-year Economics undergraduate in the current year.

He said:

[I feel] very humble to be honest. I was up against incredible candidates and I just didn’t expect to be here.

He also commented on being current Council chair: “The thing about Council chair is that I have to be quite impartial about things, and quite rightly so. People care about both sides of the perspective and I really respect that.”

Current Student Council chair Oliver Rice is elected democracy and development officer

He said in his on-stage speech: “The SU is more than a place that sells baguettes, it’s more than a place that runs the odd election, it’s a Union! It’s a students’ union! Thank you for not thinking twice, thank you for voting rice.”

Chloe Wynne said that she was “Absolutely elated.” She continued: “”Absolutely elated. Katie had a strong campaign. Oliver Rice, people didn’t need to think twice.”

Candidate Cayo Costa Sobral commented on his loss: “”Meh… At least I can get something better paid.”

Next year’s welfare and campaigns officer will be Luke Pilot, who gained 1571 votes. In second place was Bambi (aka Brogan Pierce) with 1349 votes. Sam Parr came third with 776, and 127 voted to re-open nominations.

Luke Pilot is a third-year Psychology undergraduate. He works as bar staff at the SU and is vice-president of Warwick Bandsoc.

Shortly after the announcement of the results, he said:

Right now, I’ve just about managed to calm down… I wasn’t really expecting it… I just didn’t have much faith in myself. Right now I’m so happy. Yeah it’s great, I’m just so happy.

He continued that he wanted to work with mental health policies, saying that they were “so so important”.

Luke Pilot is next year’s welfare and campaigns officer

In his speech, he said: “This means so much to me… Thank you all so much, I can’t thank you all enough.

I’m going to bankrupt myself with all the pints and free alcohol on me tonight.

Shaan Jindal, third-year Psychology student, commented: “Luke fully deserves it. He has campaigned on mental health issues since the start of his time here.”

Alex Roberts, the only candidate for sports officer, has been elected to the position with 2743 votes, beating RON (re-open nominations) which had 691 votes.

Mr Roberts is the men’s first team captain for the University of Warwick Men’s Football Club and has been involved in the student radio with Radio at Warwick.

He told the Boar: “[He felt] relief. An overriding sense of relief. A little disappointed that it’s all over.”

“My main priorities are to establish Warwick’s reputation as a top sporting university. I want to see that improve. We’ve all the facilities at our doorstep, we just need to tap into those and sell ourself as a sporting institution a bit more.”

Alex Roberts beats RON for sports officer

He said on-stage:

I’m following the other candidates to say thanks very much to my team. All of them are already getting ready for Neon. I’m delighted to be elected sports officer.

Safrina Ahmed, second-year Sociology undergraduate, remarked: “It’s exciting but shocking. I think Ron should have won for sports.”

Others on Twitter commented on the element of surprise that Mr Roberts was elected sports officer while some defended him on his campaign efforts.

Lastly, George Creasy has been elected next year’s societies officer with a close win of 1130 votes, 71 ahead of Emi Meakin who had 1059 votes. Aaron George followed closely behind with 904 votes. Fourth place was Jesal Sheta with 179.

George Creasy is a third-year MORSE student. He is also Jailbreak president, has written social media articles for the Boar and has been involved with Maths and Stats Football. One of his most well-known campaigning methods is using Snapchat.

He said:

I’m over the moon. I’m lost for words, I actually can’t believe it. I’m incredibly happy.

“I can’t wait to get started. I’ve got so many good plans, things I want to implement. I just can’t wait. It’s going to be really really exciting.”

George Creasy, next year’s societies officer

George Creasy’s campaign team celebrate

Mr Creasy said in his speech:

My team have been incredible… Tim Perry by my side the whole week. You’ve probably seen him on Snapchat… Thank you so much, I literally can’t believe it.

Ellie King, first-year History undergraduate, commented: “I think it was expected and I think he did the best campaign and he’ll do a good job.”

Sian Elvin, Literature finalist and deputy editor for the Boar, also said that she was “elated” and “overjoyed”.

Rob Ankcorn, democracy and development officer, commented that the societies officer election was the closest race with 30 votes deciding the winner.