photo: Murphy's bar

Murphy’s ‘Bar of the Year’

Leamington Spa’s Murphy’s bar has been voted as the ‘2014 Bar of the Year’ by local pub goers.

The bar, situated on Regent Street, has become particularly popular with students and sports teams from Warwick who are sponsored by proud owner Kevin Murphy.

Wednesday evenings are used by the sports teams for circling and with “all day happy hours” and “the best value in town” the bar’s popularity is increasing.

Its frequent events keep the bar busy and thanks to the pub’s darts team, alongside its pool table and free satellite television, it means there is something on offer for all sports fans.

Kevin Murphy who is the longest serving landlord of 22 years describes the pub as “the friendliest bar in town where everyone is welcome.”

He told the Boar: “It’s a proper pub, a local’s pub with character and special value where students tend to come in groups.”

Tiff Haggith, Social Secretary of Warwick’s Women’s Rugby Club, commented: “It’s fair to say we love Murphy’s. Kev is always welcoming, as are the bar staff, and will always do his best to accommodate us and ensure we are having a great evening.

“Murphy’s is a fun and friendly place and we are both proud and pleased that it has been awarded Bar of the Year.”

The bar also regularly serves food with a cooked breakfast from £3.25 available Monday to Saturday and a Sunday dinner at £5.95. It also offers free local delivery.

Murphy’s has also become particularly active in fund-raising.

The pub has raised money for numerous charities such as Myton hospice, Queen Elizabeth Hospital Leamington Rehabilitation Hospital, Help the Heroes, Cystic Fibrosis and Help the Homeless.

The bar was up against other pubs in the area for the title but managed to secure the victory against The Newbold Comyn Arms in Leamington, which came second, and The Old Post Office in Warwick, which came third.

Visit: murphys-bar.co.uk