Photo: WikiCommons

London Marathon update: running home for Christmas

So, it’s January once again, the cold weather and general air of misery everywhere should have already given that away. It’s the time of the year for nursing the Christmas hangover and getting back into the swing of things.

Unfortunately, I have not had this luxury, as I’ve been putting myself through the runner with continued training for the London Marathon for the Donkey Sanctuary.

At the time of writing, it’s currently 15 weeks, three days, 17 hours and 15 minutes until the big day (yes, training is that precise right now!) and I have been training right across the festive period.

When I last wrote on my progress during an edition of the paper last term, I was preparing forthe Royal Parks Half Marathon, in London, in aid of the Brooke Hospital for Animals.

I am very happy to report that I completed the distance in a time of one hour 42 minutes 14 seconds. As this was my first long-distance, I was delighted to simply finish the race!

I’ve been putting myself through the runner with continued training for the London Marathon for the Donkey Sanctuary.

However, the experience, the atmosphere and the achievement kept me motivated to train for the full distance.

I have now been training for the London Marathon for just over a month and this has involved approximately
145 miles. With four runs a week, I have been focusing on getting as much distance as possible before I start working on any speed training.

Of course, the sole focus of all this hard work and training is the intention to raise some much needed money for charity.

I will be one of six on Sunday 26 April running for the Donkey Sanctuary, a charity based in Sidmouth, Devon. The charity was set up in 1969 by Dr. Elisabeth Svendsen asshe dedicated her life to champion donkeys and, through her amazing devotion, it has grown to the international charity it is today.
Forty-five years on, the Donkey Sanctuary now has sanctuaries, rescues centres and funded projects in over 27 countries across the world. The Donkey Sanctuary is reaching out to those in the greatest need of their help and support, and by aiming for a target of £1000, I am aiming to make sure this work keeps going.

Every donation is motivating me to keep going and helping those donkeys across the world who need it the most.

Over the Christmas period, I have been fundraising in my home town, Christchurch. Thanks to them, I have already raised around £750 for the Donkey Sanctuary! I am absolutely delighted with this, but I would love to smash the target.

I will be fundraising in Leamington on 17 January and in Kenilworth on 21 February- whether a donkey outfit will be included is still being considered… I’m also hoping to fundraise on campus at some point in the future.

And I would strongly recommend to anybody with even the smallest amount of curiosity in running a marathon, to go ahead and do it. The sense of purpose and reward is incredibly strong and it’s a good distraction from your studies. I know running is a very popular pursuit on campus and running a marathon is one way of taking this interest to the next level.
I’ll have to leave it there- another run is calling!