Grey’s Anatomy: The end of Meredith and Derek?

After the season 10 finale, I, as every Grey’s Anatomy fan would, wondered how depressingly different season 11 would be without the presence of the legendary Christina Yang. I, shamefully, have to admit that I even questioned whether there was any point in watching season 11, as without Christina and Meredith’s magical yet twisted relationship; where would the series’ spark be?

However, after the premier of the winter finale of season 11, whilst Christina Yang’s absence was definitely noticeable, there were other problems to worry about. The winter finale of season 11 can be described in one word: heart-breaking.

“The carousel never stops turning…”

As always, each and every episode is filled with drama that keeps you on edge until the next episode airs. In this episode entitled ‘Risk’, there were some pretty defining moments. Meredith and Derek have no more time-outs to give. After weeks of endless timeouts and tiring battles, Meredith siding with Maggie over Derek about a critical patient seems to be the nail in the coffin. Whether they are officially over or not will be determined in January, but from the looks of it, they have reached their breaking point and both want out, with Meredith’s final parting words being, “Go. Just go”. After 10 seasons of experiencing Mc Dreamy and Meredith’s on/off relationship; crying over their heartbreak, and laughing together during the good times, it seems to have finally run its course. The flashbacks of their relationship in the episode, in particularly the moment they introduce themselves for the first time ever, was, without a doubt, a sadistic ploy of Shonda Rhimes. The brilliant creator of Grey’s never fails to deliver a climactic moment, without adding that extra dose of drama.

The President’s assistant making a spontaneous visit to the hospital, telling Derek that “the President doesn’t like to be told ‘no’”, initially doesn’t deter Derek. But one final argument with Meredith changes his mind in a heartbeat. So, with Derek heading off to Washington to work with the President, it is questionable how often we will get to see his amazing hair in the forthcoming episodes. Yes, let’s all take a moment to reflect…on that hair.

Grey's AnatomyI can say, with 100% confidence that no pregnancy has ever run smoothly on Grey’s Anatomy. So, it is inevitable that there would be something wrong with Japril’s baby. However, the seriousness of the complication of Japril’s baby is, by far, the worst one of them all. The baby boy, “sitting like a little Buddha”, has a rare life-threatening birth defect and will only survive for a few weeks, at most, after birth. This discovery by Stephanie, was devastatingly confirmed by Arizona and Dr. Herman.

Throughout all this misery, Arizona receives uplifting news, Dr Herman’s tumour can be removed. Redeemed inoperable by other doctors’, Nicole Herman continued with her work, teaching Arizona everything she learnt in her field, whilst having quickies with a fellow, thinking she had just 5 months to live. With that time rapidly diminishing, Arizona obtains Herman’s medical records, but not before they reached Amy Shepherd. They don’t just call her the Shepherdess for no reason. Amy informs Arizona that she can remove the “spectacular tumour, shaped like a butterfly”, ultimately saving Herman’s life.

After Callie’s shocking decision to leave Arizona, we’d all like to think that the rollercoaster is only going up for her now. Sadly, that is yet to happen and after a fight with Owen, Callie seeks comport in Arizona. After weeks of not speaking and slight hostility, Arizona and Callie find that moment we’ve all been hoping for. After declaring to Arizona that “every single thing I am doing is wrong”, Callie is consoled and it is times like these that we miss Calzona! Sadly, despite this heart to hear, Callie still feels “free for the first time”, and Arizona is still very much in love with her.

Now, I think we all had this question in our mind since the season 10 finale: who would replace Christina as Meredith’s person? I definitely did not think Meredith would make it through a single day without going through her life struggles with someone. And that person is…drumroll…Alex! Yes, to the utmost dismay of Jo, Alex has become Meredith’s weird and twisted other half. Although not as incredible as Christina and Meredith’s bond, they have a slightly different dynamic. However, some things remain the same; Meredith gets into Alex’s bed to talk, with a scowling Jo on the other side, and talks to him whilst he’s in the shower. As with anyone else in this situation, the green eyed monster clouds Jo’s mind and she jealously confronts Alex. Now we all know Alex isn’t a sweet talker, but the moment he tells Jo that she’s the only one for him is one that can be filled with an ‘Awwww!’

In addition to these major moments of the winter finale, the small moments added a tender touch to it, softening the harshness of the majority of the storylines. Meredith is becoming closer to her half -sister, Maggie, with Richard telling Derek that both are ‘so much like their mother’. Richard has also made a step forward with Maggie and Bailey has started to take her healthy approach to life seriously, but Bailey without a doughnut is a confusing aspect to understand. Owen finally seems to have found some comfort after Christina’s departure, and that is in Amy Shepherd. It looks like the start of a beautiful friendship.

This rollercoaster ride to the winter finale has left me on the edge of my seat. The defining moments of many couples was heart wrenching and out of the million questions running through my head, the ones that need to be answered urgently are; will Japril’s baby survive and will Derek actually leave Meredith and the kids. All I can say is…hurry up January!