Photo: Warwick Media Library

Warwick Classics professor gets ITV primetime slot

Warwick classicist Dr Michael Scott has been given a primetime ITV slot for his latest documentary.

Dr Scott, an associate professor in Warwick’s department of Classics and Ancient History, will present his new documentary ‘Roman Britain from the Air’ with co-host Christine Bleakley.

The documentary will feature the pair exploring the historical remains of Roman Britain from the ground and the sky. It will feature sites across Britain including an underground amphitheatre in London and a Pagan temple in South Wales.

Dr Scott commented: “It’s easy to overlook the incredible impact the Roman Empire had on the country we live in today.

“From Oxford Street in London, to our language and even our toilets! It is easy to find traces of their civilisation in our society.”

He added: “I would encourage anyone interested in finding out more about Roman Britain to get out and look in their local area, they’ll soon find traces of the Roman occupation.

“Just 10 minutes from the University for example, we have Lunt Roman Fort, first built as a headquarters in the final stages of the Roman suppression of Boudica’s rebellion against Roman rule in 60 AD.

“It is the only Roman fort known today from the whole Roman Empire to have incorporated a circular horse training arena, and as such to have a significant bend in one of its main defensive walls!”

Stefanie Vansteenkiste, president of Warwick Classics Society, commented: “I think it is great for not only promoting Classics in Warwick, but also increasing the interest in the subject as a whole.

“It is demonstrating that our passion can compete out there with prime entertainment, and it is nice to share it with everybody.”

She added: “The fact that Michael is the face of this project is an incredibly useful piece of advertising to raise awareness.”

Dr Scott will be live tweeting throughout the programme and responding to viewer questions through his Twitter account @drmichaelcscott.

The programme will be broadcasted on ITV at 8pm on Tuesday 23 December.