Photo: Kyle MacKenzie / Flickr

Warwick Students’ Union holds Go Green Day

Go Green Day took place at Warwick’s Students’ Union (SU) on November 5, aiming to educate students and staff about sustainability issues including recycling and saving water and energy.

Running throughout the day in the SU Atrium, the event saw representatives from societies such as People and Planet, RAWKUS (a project which aims to reduce student waste in accommodation while rooms are cleared at the end of term) and the Allotment society.

They were there to showcase what their societies have been doing to highlight environmental issues and to let people know of the plans that the University has for the future in terms of sustainability.

Go Green Day was set up by David Chapman, a member of the Energy and Sustainability team, part of Warwick’s Estates management section.

He hopes that the event emphasised the importance of a change of attitude when it comes to the environment, commenting: “Changing behaviour is not just about helping the environment but also about improving our health, society and economy.”

Representatives from Severn Trent Water, Coventry City Council and Student Switch Off were also there providing information about ways in which people can help the environment both on and off campus.

Student Switch Off, a project encouraging student action on climate change, also launched a new competition that week.

It urges students to save energy and upload photos to the Student Switch Off Facebook page, with the incentive of prizes to win including free ice cream, nightclub tickets and NUS cards.

Furthermore, Go Green Day advertised the University’s first inter-hall water saving competition called ‘Cut the Flow’. It will see blocks of residences competing to reduce their water consumption to win a party.

More information is available at warwick.ac.uk/cuttheflow.