News in brief – November 12

[dropcap]W[/dropcap]arwick students took part in a regular canal clean-up in Leamington. Some of the terms uncovered from the canal included bicycles, shopping trolleys, motorcycles, lengths of carpet, electronic equipment and a safe. There was a turnout of more than 80 volunteers at the clean-up, which focused on the stretch of canal between Emscote Road and Wedgnock Lane. The event was organised by the Warwickshire Branch of the Inland Waterways Association (IWA) and supported by the Canal and River Trust (CRT).

[dropcap]C[/dropcap]hristmas trees will be switched on outside Leamington town hall in the coming weeks for the annual Trees of Light fundraising campaign. The Rotary Club of Leamington Spa is inviting people to dedicate a light to loved ones by making a donation to The Myton Hospices. The campaign will enable people to remember relatives or friends who will not be with them over Christmas, who may have passed away or who may be living elsewhere. Lists of names will be updated on a weekly basis and will be displayed at the town hall.

[dropcap]F[/dropcap]ossil Free campaigners at Kings College London (KCL) staged a sit-in on November 4. The action came after the vice principal of research and innovation Chris Mottershead refused to have the university divest from the fossil fuel industry when they met him to hand in a petition signed by 1,200 students and staff. Glasgow University became the first university in Europe to divest from the fossil fuel industry and has faced criticism from a small group of academics. Warwick also has a Fossil Free campaign.

[dropcap]O[/dropcap]ne in four workers in the West Midlands earn less than the recommended living wage, an annual living wage report by KPMG has revealed. It is estimated that the overall figure is nearly half a million (494,000) workers in region. The West Midlands ranks the fourth in the proportion of workers below the living wage, on par with the East Midlands, North West and Wales. Meanwhile, the southern regions along with the East rank the lowest, with London having the least amount of workers under the recommended living wage.