Photo: Tina Carlson/Flickr

Increase in Warwick Tunnelling students

The number of students enrolled on Warwick University’s Tunnelling and Underground Space masters course (MSc) has considerably risen for the 2014/15 academic year.

Almost twice as many Warwick students are signed up to study the course this year. Twenty-three students will be undertaking the MSc this year compared to 13 students who studied it last year.

It seems various large-scale organisations including Network Rail and Morgan Sindall are digging deep, giving students financial backing to enroll in the Warwick course.

The rise may also be explained by recent government endeavours to promote skills in technology and engineering, which can be translated into jobs within the civil sector.

Cate Anthony, a Tunnelling student from 2012-13, claims the course provided “insight into real-life experience of projects very dissimilar to anything I have previously encountered” and “gave us an opportunity to meet some of the best in the business”.

Modern tunnelling is a huge industry, with one particular £4.65 billion project connecting Britain to mainland Europe.

As one the country’s best universities for engineering, Warwick maintains a strong relationship with many of the UK’s leading engineering industries including the likes of Land Rover.