NpNH/Flickr

Is English an unemployable degree?

[dropcap]T[/dropcap]aking a degree in English Literature is notorious for making you unemployable. As an English finalist, this knowledge seems to forecast impending doom for my post-graduation self. At the same time, it can become rather wearing when the response to my degree is usually a grimace of sympathy followed by the assumption, ‘so, you want to be a teacher then?’ Strangely enough, I do believe that, while there is absolutely nothing wrong with teaching as a career, there are other forms of employment out there for me. English Literature is not synonymous with teaching and the degree is not an exclusive one.

6344131603_6f32375d5e_z

Anca/Flickr

Luckily, the three years spent securing a BA in English Literature is not wholly spent on just developing skills in skim-reading and late-night essay writing. As a non-vocational degree, there is an upside to it not being specific to a certain career; in the glass half-full representation, it means that an English Literature graduate is free to go into a variety of industries rather than to being limited to one specific career.

The skills gained from the degree are transferable, and the ability to communicate effectively through both critical writing and orally is a major strength. Other examples of skills appealing to future employers include researching, the ability to work independently, time management, thinking creatively, critical reasoning and the use of IT.

Having an English degree is a demonstration of key skills, from effective communication to strong analytical abilities and these can be applied to many roles.

However, to go into a specific field, work experience is vital in order to develop a well-rounded CV. Many English students have the chance to apply their skills by writing for student newspapers or magazines, getting involved with societies, or gaining hands-on experience in the field they wish to go into through work experience and internships. For example, whilst an English Literature graduate looks highly desirable in writing-centric fields such as journalism or publishing, it is still worthwhile contacting newspapers or publishing companies and asking for work experience. Often extremely competitive, writing experience can also be garnered by looking to the web where there are a growing number of online magazines and newspapers which need writers, or by creating your own blog.

8136255530_613d7600e8_z

Thynk/Flickr

There are a variety of career paths open for an English Literature graduate. Opportunities can be found with many different employers such as the NHS, educational institutions, local and national governments, and financial and legal firms. Possible roles can range from administration, research, finance and general management. Typical employers for English Literature graduates are publishing companies, advertising, marketing and media organisations.

Graduates can also pursue further education, continuing their academic studies by doing a Masters and PhD or study different vocational postgraduate courses. Law conversion courses as well as study for specific careers such as accounting, marketing, and finance also provide a variety of options that open many doors for different career paths.

It is not true that English Literature is a limited degree.

An English degree is a springboard from which to propel yourself as a graduate into a variety of different career paths, making it the opposite of the assumption that it is narrow in options. Whilst the degree is highly employable, it is important to realise that there is no one specific employment sector for English Literature and no career-specific skills that go along with it. A strong CV with examples of work experience as well as the choice to study at post-graduate level in order to attain skills for a specific career, or to work on training schemes, show that it is very possible to secure a good career after graduation – you just have to be prepared to work for it.