Photo: Warwick Media Library

American fraternity Delta Kappa Epsilon moves to Warwick

An American fraternity, Delta Kappa Epsilon (DKE), is rumoured to have opened a branch in Warwick.

The fraternity, which has established branches in the United States and Canada, is infamous for sexism, nepotism and using abusive behavior such as hazing rituals. This involves subjecting initiates to harassment, abuse or humiliation that sometimes involves dangerous activities.

Although the branch in Warwick is yet to be confirmed, the fraternity DKE has already set up a branch, or ‘chapter’ as it is called in Edinburgh University and is actively looking to expand into other Scottish Universities, such as, St. Andrews and Glasgow.

The DKE, which boasts five U.S presidents, Rutherford B. Hayes, Theodore Roosevelt, Gerald Ford, George Bush Snr, and George W. Bush as its former members, has received heavy criticism, and in some cases even exclusion, for its initiation ceremonies.

The Yale founding chapter was banned for five years in May 2011 after new members were videoed marching by the women’s student accommodation at Yale University’s campus chanting misogynistic slogans such as “No means yes! Yes means anal!”

Students and, especially, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Intersex (LGBTI) rights campaigners expressed their concerns of DKE’s plans to set-up chapters in Scottish Universities.

Rob McDowall, Member of the Equality Council and Chair of the LGBTI Network was critical of DKE’s expansion into Scotland: “Scotland is a tolerant and welcoming country and our university students don’t need to be exposed to orgies of hate and humiliation.

“Let’s hope the universities see sense and rid Scotland’s students of the influence of this insidious organization.”

Watch DKE’s initiates chants in Yale University which have been described as misogynistic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynenGHFJ33E