Photo: Warwick media library

15 Warwick students join Lloyds Scholars Programme

15 Warwick students have recently been added to the scholarship scheme run by the Lloyds Banking Group, as a branch of its Help Britain Programme.

The banking group intends to invest £17 million in five years on 720 talented undergraduates from homes where the household income is under £25,000.

The programme allows scholars to attend any of the top eight partner UK universities. Other than Warwick, these universities include Bath, Birmingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Oxford, Sheffield and University College London.

Amarjot Sidhu, a Philosophy, Politics and Economics student from Gillingham, stated: “Warwick sent an email about it, which was the point I decided to consider applying. I had, however, heard about the scheme before this.

“I applied for it this summer just before coming to university. The recruitment process started in July and I found out whether I got a place on it in September.”

Taznema Khatun, a Politics student from Birmingham, admitted: “It was only when I got an email for the second time telling me that the deadline was extended that I actually looked into the scholarship.”

Mr Khatun also added: “It was an excuse for me to fix up my CV! The application process itself was quite intense, especially the assessment centre day. It was really helpful in enabling me to develop my interview skills (mainly competency-based) as I had never had a proper interview before!”

Students have to undergo a rigorous selection process to be chosen by the programme including a numerical test, a telephone interview and assessment interviews.

Adam Mesout, a Mathematics student from Bournemouth, said: “Lots of experience dealing with people in a professional environment from work helped me through my interview.”

The monetary benefits of the scholarship include a £1,000 bursary at the start of each academic term.

Cash awards based on academic achievement and end of course excellence awards act as further incentives to motivate students to make most of their opportunity.