Photo: Mead Gallery

“Unreliable Evidence” – Mead Gallery

The Execution of Maximilian (c. 1867–8) by Edouard Manet depicts the fatal moment when the Austrian Archduke Ferdinand Maximilian was executed alongside two of his generals, Mejía and Miramón, on 19 June 1867 by Mexican troops. The subject matter was so contentious that Manet was prevented from exhibiting the series of paintings depicting the event until 1905. This painting will be presented at the Mead Gallery alongside the work of seven international artists: Edgardo Aragón, Zarina Bhimji, Omer Fast, Rabih Mroué, Santiago Sierra, Hito Steyerl and Luc Tuymans, to examine the public and personal narratives of war in an exhibition entitled Unreliable Evidence.

This is the second of five known versions of The Execution of Maximilian. All that remains of Maximilian is his hand, holding that of General Miramón. The Mexican troops are visible from behind and General Mejía is missing altogether. Just as Maximilian is omitted from the painting of his execution, there is a sense of absence prevalent in each of the works displayed at the Mead Gallery in this exhibition. Maximilian was installed by Napoleon III to recoup Mexico’s debt to France and increase French influence overseas. However he was abandoned by Napoleon after pressure from the USA who were sympathetic to the republican government in Mexico and the French who had lost many troops over a series of defeats. These events resound today in relation to recent military conflicts and occupations.

The National Gallery is touring Manet’s painting in the first of a series of Masterpiece Tours, sponsored by Christies. After a successful application to host the painting, the Mead Gallery have curated an exhibition of artists’ work which draws recent parallels with The Execution of Maximilian, although whilst at The Beaney in Canterbury and The Bowes Museum in County Durham the painting was presented in relation to the galleries’ permanent collections. Unreliable Evidence can only be seen at the Mead Gallery and it is unlikely that this selection of work will be presented together again.

An events programme has been set up to accompany Unreliable Evidence. Santander Universities have supported two events which may appeal to students in particular; a Study Afternoon on 22nd October, 2-6 pm and A Reading by Carmen on 25th November, 6pm. There will also be a newspaper available from Warwick Arts Centre to supplement the exhibition.

Unreliable Evidence runs from 4th October to 6th December 2014, at the Mead Gallery.