Photo: Warwick Media Library

Study shows 40 percent of exchange students move abroad later in life

A recent study by the European Commission shows that students partaking in the European exchange programme, Erasmus gain a more international outlook on life than their peers, and often go on to live and work abroad.

The study, carried out among 88,000 former exchange students, discovered that 40 percent of Erasmus students choose to live and work abroad, and often start a family overseas.

More than 25 percent meet a partner on their exchange and the number of former Erasmus students who marry a partner of another nationality is almost triple the average figures.

But it is not only in love that exchange students stand out from the crowd. The study also indicates that a year abroad and the international experience this entails raises a graduate’s employability considerably.

At a time of high levels of youth unemployment in Europe, Erasmus students find jobs much easier than their fellow students who choose to stay at home.

Sara Copping, a third-year Mathematics student, enjoyed her exchange year at Grenoble. She said: “I definitely think it has given me a more international approach in general, including in study and work.

“That said, it also made me really appreciate English culture and all the things I love about life here. In applying to internships and jobs I definitely think the year made me more employable.

Ms Copping added: “Being able to show proficiency in a language is a huge bonus and something that a lot of employers ask questions about and are looking for. I think it also shows independence, curiosity, adaptability and determination.”

She is not, however, one of the 40 percent planning to move abroad: “I don’t think I want to move abroad long term but I would like to work with a wide range of people from around the world, and would appreciate the opportunity to travel.”

3 million students have participated in the Erasmus programme since it started in the 1980s. At Warwick, 26 departments partake in the exchange, and around 350 students participate every year. An additional 120 students annually go to study in other parts of the world.