Photo: Flickr / SteFou!

Freshers, watch your weight

A recent survey has revealed that on average Freshers gain 11 pounds in their first term at university.

The study conducted by VoucherCodesPro.co.uk, asked 2581 first-year students about their eating and drinking habits.

On average, students spent £97.58 a week on food and drink in their first term.

43 percent of student’s food and drink expenditure was spent on alcohol – nearly £42 a week.

Meanwhile, 17 percent of their weekly budget, over £16, were spent on takeaways after a night out.

These figures reveal that students are spending vast amounts of money on calorific food and drink which is proving detrimental to their health and body weight.

The survey discovered that the majority of students, 67 percent, gained weight in their first term at university.

On average students claimed that they had put on a 11 pounds, nearly a stone in just under three months.

Second-year Classical Civilisation student Elena Prest admitted: “I had a good time, but I spent a silly amount of money on food and alcohol.

“I wish I’d kept an eye on my food and drink consumption in first year as I messed up my weight, but now I am making good progress and have joinedWeight Watchers.”

Nick Swan, founder of VoucherCodesPro.co.uk, commented: “It’s all well and good immersing yourself in the student lifestyle when you first arrive at university, but it’s not so great when you find yourself gaining almost a stone in weight and it starts to affect your health.

“We’re not saying stop enjoying yourselves and stop socialising, just think about what you’re spending and maybe cut down on nights out here and there.

“The money saved could go on travelling home to visit family and friends, or that textbook you keep telling yourself you need but haven’t got around to buying.”