Photo: Flickr / Phil Dragash

Fears grow for laddish behaviour at universities

There is increasing concern about ‘laddish’ culture at British universities, following a sex tape which circulated the internet featuring members of Leeds Metropolitan University Rugby Club.

The university students are facing condemnation after circulating a video depicting a woman lying on the floor surrounded by three naked men shouting abuse at her.

It was reported in the Daily Mail that the video featured the male students shouting ‘slag’ at the young woman before instructing his friend to spit on her, to slap her and to “f****** do her”.

The newspaper continued to describe that the woman was being “treated like a piece of meat by the pack of cheering, jeering men” and that the video was passed around “like some badge of honour”. Experts are concerned that such behaviour is symptomatic of a rise in ‘lad culture’ at universities.

A recent survey by the National Union of Students found that a third of female students have faced unwelcome sexual advances during their time at university.

One of the participants in the survey said that they had witnessed a drinking game at the University of Warwick where male students chanted: “Women aren’t people.”

On Facebook pages such as Spotted Warwick Library, there are also a number of posts that appear to promote ‘laddish’ behaviour.

One anonymous individual claimed on the page that they had witnessed two students having “sex like bunnies”. The individual went on to describe how “the guy proceeded to throw her off the top of him. She was stark naked.” They concluded by saying: “School dayz spirit hey.”

Sexism at Warwick is a Facebook group where members can anonymously post about sexual harassment that they have faced whilst at university.

In one post from March 3, a member of the group recounts hearing the following comment at a university bus stop: “I mean Christ, the way she was dressed she deserved to have something happen. Do you know what I mean? Like to teach her a lesson.”

When asked about ‘lad culture’ on campus, Bethan Smith, a third-year English Literature undergraduate, said: “You only really need to go to any Pop! or Skool Dayz night, or even out at Smack to see it in force.”

Similarly, Oliver Clarke, a second-year Mathematics undergraduate, agreed that there were signs of ‘laddish’ culture on some nights out, but said: “The atmosphere around campus is normally calm and productive.”

Have you experienced any laddish behaviour?
Tweet: @BoarNews
#EverydaySexism