Photo: Warwick Media Library

Campus-dwellers concerned about rats near accommodation

A large number of sightings of rats have been recorded during the first weeks of term, with students describing repeated glimpses of the rodents close to Lakeside and Rootes residences.

The University has acknowledged the increased prevalence of sightings but did not believe that the local rat population has increased.

David Taylor, a carer of disabled students living in Lakeside, said: “It’s not like they are in our kitchens and rooms, it doesn’t matter. I’d say geese poo was more unhygienic.”

There were always the treacherous rats. They were huge and disgusting and I did not like seeing them.”
Ellie Finlay

However, a student living in Lakeside who had complained about the rats claimed that rats were seen specifically around bins outside Lakeside, by the Arts Centre and by Rootes. He added: “Rats are generally unhygienic and likely to spread to disease.”

Other students however noted a similar problem with rats around the area last year.

Ellie Finlay, a second-year History of Art undergraduate who lived in Sherbourne last year, said: “Whenever we walked past the lake, there were always the treacherous rats. They were huge and disgusting and I did not like seeing them. They were very unhygienic.”

Second-year Engineering undergraduate Rodion Isokov also lived in Sherbourne last year but did not seem disconcerted by the rats on campus. He said: “I don’t have problems with rats but I might understand why people would find them disgusting.”

Peter Dunn, director of press and policy at the University, stated: “People may have seen a few more recently due to road construction and road works that will have disturbed them. They will therefore be more visible, but there is no increase in this problem that we are aware of.”

The University has previously employed a pest control company which has employed bait boxes to try to remedy the problem.

Warwick’s rural setting and the popularity of local duck and geese flocks have been blamed. It has been suggested that feedstuffs and treats given to these birds may be being picked up by the rats.

Mr Dunn stated: “If people leave or throw more food at the birds on the lakes than those birds actually want to eat, it does then end up encouraging the rat population who will then eat it instead.”