Photo: Flickr/Raymond Wambsgans

Researchers claim 1 in 5 child deaths are preventable

Research aided by the Division of Mental Health and Well Being at the University of Warwick lead by Dr Peter Sidebotham has found an estimated quarter of child deaths to be preventable in the developed world.

Greater levels of scrutiny are to be placed on the way the causes of child deaths in the world’s most economically developed nations are analysed.

The purpose of Dr Sidebotham’s report is to bring awareness to these problem areas in children’s lives at the same time as harnessing this renewed attention and channelling it in to creating wider benefits for children.

The five countries investigated in the report are the UK, the USA, New Zealand, Australia and Portugal.

The recommendations suggest that changes should be made to the way deaths are recorded and reviewed with greater emphasis placed on 15-19 year olds. This age group harbours a more prevalent rate in deaths associated with suicide, motor accidents and use of firearms.

Data varies between the five countries analysed in the report. In the USA 80% of youth homicides are the direct result of incidents involving firearms.

A preventable death is defined as one in which ‘modifiable factors have contributed to the death’. This means that variables could have been altered to locate a different outcome rather than the death of the child.

The criteria for a preventable death span from negligence in front line care services, to accidental use of firearms with fatal consequences. It is often the deaths that are deemed newsworthy and are likely to be reported. However these tend to be isolated incidents, separated from the dangerous threats of cancer and complications arising within the first year of life.

The issue arises when looking at the way deaths are recorded and later examined to produce national statistics. There has been an unhealthy number of discrepancies in the way that death certificates have been filled in across the UK.

The largest focus being on the abject levels of detail placed on those suffering from chronic medical conditions which has skewed overall data shown at an international level. This is due in part to the incorrect input of cause of death and the way that secondary causes are made to appear as minor variables.

The report suggests that there are four domains by which deaths should be categorised beyond purely medical reasoning: biological and psychological, physical, social and service delivery. It is necessary to understand that not all child deaths that can be prevented are accidental.

US MEDLINE data shows youth mortality has sharply fallen since 1974 by 68% showing its largest drop off in the infant age group whilst adolescent deaths 14-19, remain higher than the average. The study found that a change in behaviour in these teenage years creates a much more dangerous environment.

The Socio-economic position is another factor that needs to be considered. It is usually directly linked in with ethnicity in the most affected areas. Social issues are more likely to affect women and children the report confirms due to the difficulties that can be faced before, during and after pregnancy.

The introduction of alcohol and drugs to teenagers at a difficult stage of their lives sporadically leads to misuse and abuse and a higher rate of mortality. Males tend to subscribe more to this behaviour than girls who are more indulgent in self-harm, and physical inactivity.

In the UK factors such as failing NHS hospitals in more deprived regions such as mid-Staffordshire hospital just an hour north of Warwick. In addition, chronic staff shortages, a lack of direction by those in charge and general neglect of patients supplemented the pre-existing issues of each individual.

In inquest is now in place to improve these problems and more scrutiny is now present in NHS hospitals due to this incident.