Henry's journey will take him through the picturesque Lake District. Photo: VisitCumbria.

Warwick student cycles 225km in memory of brother Archie

A third year Warwick student is in training for a 225km cycle to take place this weekend, 10th-11th August.

Henry Wellbelove, who studies French and Art History, has just returned from his year abroad in Paris, and will be joining tens of thousands of cyclists from across the UK as they attempt to complete over 100km a day across a range of challenging terrain.

The Coast2Coast cycle, beginning in Whitehaven and finishing in Sunderland, traverses extreme uphill climbs in both the Lake District and the Pennines. The route is celebrating its twentieth anniversary this summer, and enjoys an average of 13,000 – 15,000 participants annually.

Henry, who will be cycling the route with a friend from school, Jamie Rawstorne, and will aim to complete the route over two days. He says he is “not particularly nervous”, but is taking it very seriously.

Henry said, “the prevalent emotion I feel is pride, and a great deal at that”.

“[Jamie and I] have found inspiration in the frankly unbelievable response and support we’ve had from our network of friends and relatives.”

At the time of going to print Henry and Jamie had raised over £13,000 in aid of the Road Victims (sic) Trust, a local charity in the Bedford area that offers support to families who have suffered loss through road accidents.

Henry is the brother of Archie Wellbelove, the Warwick student who was tragically killed in a road accident in December 2012. Mr Wellbelove was hit by a taxi on Kenilworth Road “under an extinguished light,” and investigations into the incident concluded that the poor street lighting contributed to his death.

Archie’s death rocked the Warwick community and caused widespread concern about road safety in the area.

Just before Archie’s death, there was a switch-off of street lighting in Leamington due to funding cuts. The Boar recently revealed that current statistics show there has been an increase in deaths on Warwickshire roads since the street light switch-off, which cut 80% of street lighting on the roads surrounding the Leamington Spa area.

Henry said the occasion “means a lot to me because it is in honour of my brother and if it means we can help other families then it makes it all worth it.”

If you would like to donate to Henry and Jamie please follow this link. Or text: HWJR55 £1/£2/£5/£10 to 70070.