Utopia Series Two Blog: Episode One

There is a great deal of pressure these days for television series to be innovative, original and pushing the boundaries. As we live in this apparent second golden age of television, there is indeed much competition in creating shows which can compete with smash-hits like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones. However, Channel 4’s Utopia can easily hold its own against such juggernauts of the small screen.

The world Utopia deftly creates is one filled with espionage, brutal violence, eye-popping techni-colour, and philosophical intrigue. It is a show full of shocks and the odd flurry of laughter at the surprisingly frequent moments of gallows humour, and is as intelligently written as it is skilfully executed. As the first series left us reeling with the revelation that the ruthless Network was still very much intact with their successful capture of Jessica Hyde, and that MI5 agent Milner was in fact the mysterious antagonist of the series, Mr. Rabbit, the first episode of the second series takes us back to where it all began: 1970s Britain.

It is a show full of shocks and the odd flurry of laughter at the surprisingly frequent moments of gallows humour, and is as intelligently written as it is skilfully executed.

Source: metro.co.uk

Source: metro.co.uk

The narrative focuses on the journeys of the two key players in the creation of the Network and the Janus project, the young Milner and Dr Philip Carvel, played by Rose Leslie and Tom Burke, respectively. Their fortuitous meeting occurs as they attend an annual do for government officials and scientific experts to mingle and discuss ideas, where Carvel imparts his theory on how to avoid the future unsustainable population increase and subsequent Malthusian catastrophe, to the young, inquisitive Milner.

From these small beginnings a monster is born; a monster with many arms and many forms. As Carvel and Milner develop the Janus project, whereby a protein is created which can cause infertility in human beings, we see their humanity individually crumble away. Milner transforms into a cold, ruthless killer, even going so far as to drown her alcoholic – though nonetheless harmless – boyfriend in a bath. Meanwhile Carvel, who had previously spouted eugenic philosophy with pride, grows wracked with the grief and guilt of his biological creation, as well as the impact of his experiments in turning his toddler son, Pietre (the future Network assassin, Arby), into a psychopath. As Carvel magnificently falls into despair and mental collapse, Milner rises like a terrifying phoenix, burning anything that gets in her way; even high-ranking politicians.

Source: telegraph.co.uk

Source: telegraph.co.uk

Both Rose Leslie and Tom Burke shine in their leading roles, expressing the developments of their characters with great skill and emotional sincerity. They display the psychological complexity and depth of their characters with such strength that it is a testament to their acting ability. This initial episode firmly grounds the progress of the entire series, safely establishing the maintained quality of a show which already proved its dramatic mettle in its first series. The visuals are as stunning as ever, the writing as intelligent, and the characters as morally grey and fascinating; indeed, in seeing the origins of characters such as Pietre and Jessica Hyde, we have a greater insight into their emotional conception and formation as characters, which only heightens the tragedy of their future. This, coupled with the clever use of intertwining the plot with real-life events which occurred in the 70s, such as Union strikes, and the assassination of MP, Airey Neave, the show’s strange sense of realism is re-established, cleverly creating a world that is frighteningly familiar, but at the same time, disturbingly not.

The visuals are as stunning as ever, the writing as intelligent, and the characters as morally grey and fascinating.

Whilst removing us from the present action of the first series, episode 1 of the second series of Utopia is nevertheless thrilling, heart-breaking and intriguing. It will leave you excited for more!