Photo: ransomtech /flickr

Students own over £4,500 worth of possessions

A recent survey has revealed that UK students now own over £4500 worth of possessions.

The research, which was conducted by the National Union of Students (NUS) on behalf of insurance provider Endsleigh, surveyed 2,128 students from across the UK and discovered that the average value of a student’s possessions amounted to £4,591.

The results also revealed that the average student’s gadgets alone were worth £2,883. This figure mainly comprised of laptops and notebooks, with 96 percent of the students surveyed stating that they owned at least one portable computer.

In addition to this, 91 percent of the students surveyed owned a smartphone, whilst 40 percent owned a tablet.

On top of these multipurpose devices, students are also embracing entertainment focused gadgets as 37 percent claimed to own a flat screen television, 34 percent a games console and 17 percent an e-reader.

However, whilst technology is becoming an increasingly major part of many students’ possessions, some traditional items have proven less popular. For instance, now only 29 percent of students have a bicycle at University.

Sara Newell, manager of student markets at Endsleigh, stated: “Our research has shown us that students are investing more money than ever before to ensure they have the latest high-quality gadgets and possessions.”

Ellie Chitty, a first-year student, suggested that: “A lot of the time students need a large amount of equipment for their course.”

Ms Newell urged: “As students start spending more money on these expensive gadgets, it’s really important when they head off to university that they consider insurance tailored to their specific needs and do not leave anything to chance.”

Indeed, Ms Chitty endorsed the importance of insurance, she said: “I do insure my gadgets as it would cost too much to replace them if anything happened, especially because of their high cost.”

Not all Warwick students have insured their gadgets, Harmeet Randhawa, a first-year Classical Civilisation student, stated: “I have at least ten gadgets, I need them for work as well as leisure, but I don’t insure my gadgets because it simply costs too much.”

Whilst the University does provide basic contents insurance on its campus accommodation and university managed off-campus rooms through Cover4Students, this does not provide comprehensive protection for gadgets.

However, students do have the option to extend the basic policy to include full gadget cover at a reduced rate through Cover4Students.