photo: Warwick media library

Warwick professor awarded OBE in Queen’s birthday honours list

Professor Charles Sheppard, who works at Warwick University’s School of Life Sciences, has been awarded an OBE in this year’s birthday honours list.

Professor Sheppard has received the award for his services to environmental conservation in the Chagos Archipelago, a collection of British-owned islands within the Indian ocean.

On finding out about his OBE, Professor Sheppard stated: “I’m delighted, of course, with the honour. That work has involved over 100 scientists now from many countries, and it has been a privilege as well as a pleasure to co-ordinate that.”

He continued: “The whole idea of winning a victory for conservation, in the tropical world especially, is difficult.  We all hope this will benefit the Indian ocean generally, and especially of course, its coastal people.”

The OBE acknowledges Professor Sheppard’s contribution to conservation over almost 40 years, during which he has facilitated the research of over 100 scientists and produced a prolific range of publications.

His research has helped lead to the creation of the world’s largest marine reserve which occupies an area more than twice the size of the UK. This reserve is protected from industrial fishing and mining and has become essential for the ecological stability of the Indian ocean.

Professor Sheppard pointed out: “One third of the world’s rich reef systems (that provide so much food for so many) are already dead and gone – not many people know that!

“The world needs them, and needs to arrest their decline, in this archipelago and many more. Luckily, many organisations are working to try and reverse their decline, and, in the end, we must win!”

Alongside his research, Professor Sheppard works for the UN and other conservation agencies in tackling tropical marine and coastal development issues.

He also serves as key advisor to many governments, including the UK and their tropical territories, with regards to marine and coastal management.

Professor Sheppard was earlier this year appointed chairman to the Chagos Conservation Trust due to his extensive research and expertise.

His current research is focused on the effects of pollution, mining and climate change on ecosystems.