Photo: Bathstore

University Student lands role of Official ‘Bath Tester’

A 20 year-old Bristol student, Sam Collins, has been appointed the first official bath tester in the country.

Sam is a second-year Law undergraduate and newly selected Bathroom Executive Officer at Bathstore, a national bathroom retailer.

It is a part-time, ‘work from home’ position which involves having regular soaking sessions to test different baths.

The company hopes that Sam’s appointment will help them establish a fresher and more direct connection with their customers.

Sam will have a number of bathtubs installed in his parent’s house throughout his employment, one at the time. He will write regular reviews to help develop Bathstore’s products and will be allowed to keep the bath that he likes the most.

As part of the selection process, the candidates had to produce a 400-word statement explaining why they loved baths and what personal qualities they could bring to the position.

The ideal aspirant needed to have taken at least 3,000 baths and had to reflect Bathstore’s values and approach to bathing.

Bathstore stated: “We placed a job advertisement in national news, and we were overwhelmed by applications! We had some great applicants, but Sam stood out from the crowd by making his passion for bathing extremely clear in his application!”

Johan Byttner, a first-year Management undergraduate, commented: “The guy experienced an unconventional job and went outside his chosen path of study. This is where transferable skills really come to play.

“What I would take away from this is that you are in no way forced to follow a particular path in your life, but there are many options open to you. You just have to look”.

Sean Gallagher, a third-year Archaeology and Ancient History undergraduate, disagreed: “Probably would not be applying for a job like this myself!

“It reminds me of the Douglas Adam’s book, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, where a leader of a spaceship permanently lived in a bath”.