Photo: Guide Dogs

Guide Dogs calling for Student Superstars

Charitable organisation Guide Dogs is calling for thousands of new student volunteers throughout the UK as part of Volunteers’ Week this June.

Guide Dogs for the Blind Association changes the lives of thousands of people living with sight loss every year, made possible with the support and spare time given by volunteers.

The charity has more than 50 different positions to help students boost their career prospects. Roles range from accounting to events management and are available to students studying any degree.

A popular job for students is volunteering as a free runner, which involves taking a guide dog for a walk for its owner.

Charlotte Stephenson, a Guide Dogs volunteer and student who is visually impaired, said: “Volunteering for Guide Dogs has given me both experience and confidence.

“The skills I have gained have helped me in many areas of my life, including being able to make presentations and take on leading roles at university.”

Charlotte was short-listed for volunteer of the year, which she said was, “an amazing experience”.

To look for a role with Guide Dogs, visit www.guidedogs.org.uk/getinvolved.

Visit Volunteers at Guide Dogs Facebook page and follow Guide Dogs on Twitter to be kept up to date on new roles and take a look at what current volunteers are doing by searching #WhyIVolunteer.

This year Volunteer’s Week, an annual celebration of volunteers’ work, run by the National Council for Volunteering Organisation, celebrates its 30th anniversary and takes place between 1-7 June 2014.