Photo: Wikimedia Commons

3-D printed gun a “catastrophic failure”

Tests conducted by the University of Warwick have resulted in a 3-D printed gun being labelled a “catastrophic failure.”

The gun, named the Liberator by its American developers was tested by Warwick School of Engineering’s Dr Simon Leigh.

Dr Leigh was working in collaboration with the West Midlands Police’s National Ballistics Intelligence Service (NABIS) department.

Speaking to the Independent Dr Leigh commented that during the tests the gun: “Ranged from small failure to complete catastrophic failure.”

The tests were broadcast by the BBC and drew the conclusion that the 3-D printed weapon is more of a danger to the shooter than the intended target.

The problems the firearm suffered included the barrel breaking apart, with fragments of the pistol found subsequently embedded in the roof of the firing range.

Further tests will be conducted by Warwick researchers to understand the causes of these failures.

Head of NABIS, Detective Chief Superintendent Iain O’Brien, remarked: “There is a curiosity factor with 3D printers and those interested in playing around with the technology may not realise the danger they are facing.

“Producing a firearm in this way is illegal and could cause injury to the person holding the gun.”