Photo: flickr/ Horia Varlan

Warwick University Professor wins Royal Society of Chemistry’s Gibson-Fawcett award

Dr Andrew Dove has been announced as the 2014 winner of the Royal Society of Chemistry’s Gibson-Fawcett Award.

According to the Royal Society of Chemistry’s webpage, this award was given to Dr Dove “for his seminal contributions to the field of biodegradable materials and sustainable polymers.”

The award recognises “original and independent contributions to materials chemistry”. Dr Dove’s research works on creating new degradable biomaterials.

These materials can be used for various things including tissue engineering and regenerative medicine that helps repair or replace damaged cells or tissues.

Dr Andrew Dove’s team works on the synthesis of materials from sustainable resources, including carbon dioxide, sugars and amino acids.

Dr Robert Parker, Chief Executive of the Royal Society of Chemistry, commented that: “Each year we present Prizes and Awards to chemical scientists who have made a considerable contribution, be that in their area of research, in industry or academia.

“We’re working to shape the future of the chemical sciences for the benefit of science and humanity and these Prizes and Awards give recognition to true excellence in their fields.”

He added: “Our winners can be very proud to follow in the footsteps of some of the most influential and important chemical scientists in history.”

The Gibson-Fawcett Award was established in 2008 and is a tribute to the contributions of Reginald Gibson and Eric Fawcett to chemical research.

Many previous winners of awards from the Royal Society of Chemistry have proceeded to win Nobel Prizes, including Harry Kroto, Fred Sanger and Linus Pauling.

• I do not know if this is the right site regards PH of Somes & Motuhi Internment Camps 19154-19 whent to talk Wellington Oct Have a collection of Censored covers + 1939-45 Somes & Pahiatua
    Regards
    Harold