Warwick Library goes to the dogs

University of Warwick students have been ‘barking’ mad over dogs in the Library this week.

Therapy dogs were in the Experimental Teaching Space yesterday afternoon as part of the Study Happy Campaign.

Dogs and puppies of various breeds were in the room for students to cuddle and play with, as a revision ‘paws’ during the stressful exam period.

Third-year English Literature undergraduate Roxanne Douglas said: “The environment and pups were very relaxing, and their owners were welcoming and chatty. This is definitely something the University should do more often!”

dBPRQxn - ImgurThe animals have been trained in therapy and were looked after by supervisors. Snacks and drinks were also provided at the event.

Campaign co-ordinator Carina Hart told the Boar: “The idea is just to remind students that you can take a break from your studies and just take a few minutes to recharge.

“It lets students know that the Library is there for them too – that will help you study better and study happy!”

Second-year Philosophy and Literature student Andrew King commented: “It was a great idea and a lot of fun, but I think there should have been more faith in it.

“There could have been a lot more preparation to ease the difficulties caused by over-attendance, such as a monitored queue system to stop people pushing in, which happened a lot.

“Absolutely loved it though; it should definitely happen again!”

However, organisers said that they were not expecting the amount of attention that the afternoon received.

Ms Hart added: “We have got this up and running to hopefully be an annual campaign, and it might stretch out into other parts of the year. If everything is as popular as it has been today, then that’s likely.”

An estimated 150 people visited the therapy dogs, with queues spanning most of Floor 2 at one point during the afternoon.

0igdjGi - ImgurThe campaign was founded by Library and Postgraduate Hub staff, and aims to ensure that stress levels are kept to a minimum during exam time.

Massage chairs were in the Postgraduate Hub and Rootes Grid last week as part of the campaign, and more activities are taking place over the next few weeks.

Future activities will include yoga, arts and crafts, a banana giveaway and even a silent disco in Week 8.

For more details and the full timetable visit this website, and follow the campaign on Twitter using the hashtag #studyhappy.

Warwick Students’ Union has also launched a Feel Good Campaign over Term 3.

Photos: Robin James Kerrison

• Hello, I am wanting to do a similar project to this at Coventry University for the upcoming exam period in May.

I would be very grateful if you could let me know the details and logistical details of this event, if you have any records. e.g. where the dogs were sourced from

Hope anyone can help!