Warwick University plan to create a new and more efficient bus termainal on campus. Photo: University of Warwick

University confirms campus road improvements

The university has confirmed that it will be going ahead with planned road improvements on campus this summer.

Despite previous concerns, the project, which is aimed at improving the general road safety and traffic flow on campus, will commence after the 2014 exam season and should not interrupt access for exam candidates.

The current start date has been set for the 23 June.

The University’s head of communications, Peter Dunn, has highlighted: “The most intensive part of the works will take place over the summer vacation specifically to limit the impact of the road works on undergraduate students.”

The plans will see major changes to the road system around campus, particularly around the Arts centre.

Planned changes include the installation of a new roundabout at the junction between University Road and Gibbet Hill Road by the Arts centre, which will provide an additional access point for traffic to campus.

The project will also create a new bus interchange opposite the Arts centre which will allow up to 5 busses to stop at any time; it is hoped that this will help to reduce congestion outside the Arts Centre and along Gibbet Hill Road.

Mr Dunn insisted: “Anyone who has sat on a Number 12 bus at rush hour entering or leaving campus will be happy with the outcome!”

Jeanette Dawson, a first year Ancient History student, welcomed the plans: “It will be better as currently the bus stops can get very clogged, at the moment you have buses blocking the road, having driven round campus myself – it’s a nightmare.”

The University’s plans also include a reduction to the speed limit along Gibbet Hill Road to 20mph.

Ms Dawson disapproved of the planned changes to the speed limit suggesting: “Slower traffic will simply lead to more congestion.”

However, Elena Prest, a first year Classical Civilisation student argued: “If it means I’m less likely to get squished, then a lower speed limit can only be a good thing.”

While the works will cause some short term disruption over the summer holidays, they will ultimately provide long term benefits for transport around the campus.

Mr Dunn urged the works will ultimately “improve access and exit from our successful and growing campus.”