Photo: Flickr, lydiashiningbrightly

Students affected by burglaries in South Leamington

Over the past month there have been cases of burglaries at student accommodations in South Leamington.

Warwick Students’ Union (SU) have been alerted by local Crime Prevention teams and the police in Leamington of the incidents.

Of the details of the crimes, it has been said that access to the properties was made easy for the offenders because doors and windows were left unlocked or open. Valuables such as laptops and iPads were also left on display.

This would have given open, visible encouragement to burglars surveying the best premises to break into.

The SU’s Welfare and Campaigns Officer, Cat Turhan, has said of the recent burglaries: “We advise not to panic, as there have only been a couple of incidences in the local area.”

“We want to remind all students, regardless of where you’re living, to be conscious of leaving your valuables where people can see them.” She also stressed that it is important “to make sure you lock your doors and windows whenever you leave the house empty”.

The SU also want to make students aware of keeping basic crime-prevention tips in mind to try and limit any further incidents.

Victims of crime can get free and confidential advice at the SU Advice Centre by making an appointment with them at advice@warwicksu.com or can visit them in their offices on the second-floor of the SUHQ building.

Alternatively, Cat Turhan is available to talk to anyone affected at welfare@warwicksu.com or in her office, also on the second floor.