To read or not to read: Is Shakespeare overrated?

[dropcap]M[/dropcap]ost people seem to have very strong opinions on Shakespeare. Amongst my friends, he has been described as both a literary genius and a lucky but nothing-special writer. He seems to be the marmite of the literary world – does he deserve the praise he gets? Why are English teacher so obsessed with him? In short, the works of Shakespeare: to read, or not to read?

Having written over one hundred sonnets and almost forty plays, Shakespeare is a world renowned writer and it has been estimated that  his works are performed every minute around the world. There must be something special about his work which has inspired so many people.

[pullquote style=”left” quote=”dark”]Was he born great? Did he achieve greatness, or have greatness thrust upon him?[/pullquote] Being a fan of the Bard myself, I can explain exactly why I think he’s all that interesting. Firstly, the sheer number of his plays and themes he explores means everyone can relate, in one way or another, to what he’s saying. Anyone who’s fallen in love, experienced jealousy, grieved a close one’s death or plotted for a specific outcome can empathise with characters or understand the narratives in his poems. Granted, we may not all be looking to avenge our father’s death because his ghost told you to murder his brother who married your mother…(that’s a quick synopsis of Hamlet by the way…it’s definitely different, I’ll admit). But there is no doubt that the play throws up some interesting questions about society itself, and it’s not at all difficult to understand the grief that Hamlet experiences.

Shakespeare 2Furthermore, Shakespeare has contributed so much to the English language that no matter how much you want to escape anything Shakespeare related, it’s virtually impossible. Having come up with “wild goose chase”, “swagger” and “unreal” he is the most frequently quoted author in English (when you don’t include the Bible). His colossal influence on language and exploration of universal and timeless themes means that he is unavoidable, and in my eyes it’s impossible to not find a work of his that can be devoured with enthusiasm and interest.

It seems that most people who can’t stand Shakespeare are those who were forced to study his plays or poems at school and could not understand why their English teacher was in love with him. This isn’t going to be changing anytime soon. In fact, the education reforms mentioned by Michael Gove have indicated that children between eleven and fourteen will be required to study at least two plays by Shakespeare. Unfortunately, it is often the case that the enjoyment of literature is sucked away when pulling apart the text in countless English lessons. However, reading the poems or plays that particularly appeal to you because you want to means you can appreciate Shakespeare on your own terms. Finding a play or poem couldn’t be easier. If you’re looking for love, then Romeo and Juliet  and Sonnet 116 fit the bill. A search for humor points to A Midsummer Night’s Dream, whereas a debate about ambition and morality can be found in Macbeth.

[pullquote style=”left” quote=”dark”]We are supposedly meant to love Shakespeare and Dostoyevsky because it is proper literature.[/pullquote]Many people argue that these works and Shakespeare overall is simply overrated. His plays and sonnets are fine, but they are certainty not anything that merits the recognition they receive. I have heard arguments that it’s all about intellectual elitism. People like his work because they are meant to,  and condemn trashy novels because they aren’t so meaningful. Personally, I can’t understand the view. His works are varied and universal; they deal with both serious and light-hearted issues, whilst the sonnets are meaningful and thought-provoking.

Suggesting that Shakespeare is overrated is the equivalent of implying that sliced bread is overrated.

Shakespeare 1So, if you’re bored of the Bard or you want something to read to break up the awful revision that is on the cards for the next few weeks the I implore you to read some of the following to reignite your love for the Bard and distract you from revision!

1. In at number one must be the all-time favourite: Romeo and Juliet. It tells a love story which ends in tragedy, and is written so beautifully that it is akin to poetry. It also explores the expectations of women in society and is an absolute must read.

2. Following this, I’d recommend Othello which I studied for my English Literature A-Level and thoroughly enjoyed. The play explores racism, societal  expectations (particularly looking at women) and the archetype of heroism.

3. If you’ve no time for a play, then I recommend reading Sonnet 130. It is a pragmatic parody of a traditional love sonnet which is refreshingly different, blurring the line between compliment and truth.

4. A cheat because it was not penned by Shakespeare, but my number four is an interesting sonnet by Carol Ann Duffy called Anne Hathaway. It is based on a part of Shakespeare’s will which states that he left the “second best bed” to his wife, Anne Hathaway.

5. Finally, Much Ado About Nothing is a must-read for me because it is a fantastic work of comedy. The constant references to cuckoldry and infidelity incorporate heavier themes, but  the deception and mistaken identity at play means that it is lighter than many of Shakespeare’s other plays and ends happily.

Happy reading!

• Richard Paulson

Shakespeare is definitely overrated by far. I found beautiful verses in Venus and Adonis. And I liked a couple of his sonnets or so – a couple from 154. I hated reading Macbeth in high school. I couldn’t get into any of his plays. There is no great story telling and while he has a first rate poetic talent so do many others, and some of which have yet accomplished much more than him in poetry. The worst part is the fact that Shakespeare’s writing is mostly depressing, with bad endings (pointless tragedies).

Another point: I recently asked someone if she knew who Edmund Spenser was. The person never heard of him, and yet has heard of Shakespeare, of course. Why? When Edmund Spenser has accomplished great poetry beyond Shakespeare. In fact, in history, Edmund Spenser, if anyone, should rather be considered the greatest English Poet, and certainly not Shakespeare. I read also that Spenser is considered the greatest Elizabethan poet, which thus leaves out Shakespeare. How does this figure if Shakespeare is considered the greatest English poet also???? LOL Shakespeare doesn’t even come close to Spenser.

• My objection to Shakespeare is not so much his themes or ideas, but the way they’re executed. Storylines are transmitted via the medium of long, rambling soliloquies or impenetrable and stilted ‘dialogue’.

All of his female (and many of his male) characters are hopelessly one-dimensional and his jokes are invariably repetitive and unsophisticated.

This is not to say he should be struck from the curriculum of course, but I feel his continuing literary dominance is unjustifiable.

• Macbeth is boring.