Photo: Flickr/ wistechcolleges

Online universities revolution

The growth of online universities is set to continue, with the recent development of real world sites for online pupils to meet and interact in person rather than by computer.

Leading online university provider Coursera, based in California, has begun partner programmes in cities around the world to give their students access to face-to-face social learning facilities.

These include ‘learning hubs’ and unofficial ‘meet-Ups’ organised and run by the students to revise together and socialise.

Coursera’s vision is to provide “a future where everyone has access to a world class education”, and is currently receiving its latest developmental innovation.

Feedback from students suggesting a lack of real world interaction detracted from their educational experience has now led to the opening of ‘learning hubs’ all over the world.

Anish Chandran, a second-year Law student, expressed concern over the possible effects of the programme. He said: “It might prove an obstacle to learning rather than a benefit.”

Becky Smith, a second-year French Studies, also commented on the programme.

“The point of online university is so you can fit your studies around other aspects of your life such as work and children.

“These ‘learning hubs’ will only benefit a small number of online students.”

Aarynn Carter, a second-year Physics student, instead suggested that “social interaction is important”.

He added: “Humanity developed itself as a community, without that we limit the possibility of collaborative work and thus progress of mankind as a whole.”