Photo: Welldoing.org

New website provides help for students seeking counselling

Louise Chunn, a former editor of Psychologies magazine, has launched a website that can help young people find the right therapists to cope with challenges of today’s world.

Welldoing.org is a new website designed to pair individuals with most suitable therapists and counsellors by filling out a simple questionnaire.

Visitors are then immediately presented with a filtered selection of practitioners which best matches their answers.

Ms Chunn started the webpage in response to her own experience of trying to find the right therapist. The content site was launched in December 2013 and the directory in March 2014.

“I believe that many people – particularly young people – are struggling, but don’t know where to turn for help. The welldoing.org directory takes a lot of the random-ness out of seeking a suitable therapist.”

“There are literally hundreds of different types of therapy. Trying to make sense of all that theory isn’t what you need if you’re depressed or anxious, and desperate for help.

The idea of the welldoing.org directory is that you fill in a simple questionnaire, outlining practical areas and your needs, and we match you with the people best suited to you.” she said.

All the therapists enrolled with the webpage have relevant experience and are members of organisations such as the British Psychological Society and British Psychoanalytical Council.

The matching service is free, but the therapy is private.

The website also contains a content site which includes information on self- development, mental health and wellbeing. It provides advice on a healthy lifestyle and social issues through various articles and daily posts from experts.

Recent topics include stories about elderly and dementia care, benefits of biodynamic massage and the impact of birth order on the position in the family.

Ms Chunn added: “Therapy isn’t for everyone – but knowing how we can live a good life is.”