Photo: Flickr, Ken Zirkel

How did exams impact student participation in the elections?

This year’s local and European Parliament elections which took place in the UK on May 22 coincided with the exam period at Warwick University

I didn’t have time to look at the parties’ policies and make an informed decision
– Rhys Wyles

The Boar looked into the impact of exams on the voting turnout among Warwick students.

Voting turnout

The turnout in areas surrounding campus was above Coventry’s average with 32.4 percent in Woodland ward, 40.9 percent in Earlsdon ward, and 37.1 percent in Wainbody ward.

Participation in Westwood ward was slightly lower, but statistics from Coventry City Council show an increase in voter’s turnout in all four zones compared to the 2012 poll which took place before the exam period.

All four zones gained a Consevative hold.

Overall statistics for Coventry also show an increase in voters’ participation from approximately 26.6 percent in May 2012 to 30.7 percent in 2014.

Meanwhile, the West Midlands turnout in the European Parliament elections fell from 34.8 percent in the last 2009 election to 33.1 percent. This represents a proportionately larger fall to the nationwide decrease in voting participation in the European elections (from 34.7 percent to 34.2 percent).

votingturnout graph

Student participation in elections

The Boar asked Warwick students about their participation in the 2014 elections.

Psychology finalist Amy Isham and Physics postgraduate student Rhys Wyles did not vote this year as the elections took place during the exam and revision period.

Rhys admitted: “I didn’t have time to look at the parties’ policies and make an informed decision as I had too much revision at the time.”

Amy Isham also commented: “No I didn’t vote, it didn’t really cross my mind amongst exams.”

French Studies finalist Emma Ly however went to vote during her revision break.

it was absolutely worth taking what was realistically only a few minutes out of revision to vote
– Emily Baker

She explained: “Ramphall building is hardly three minutes away from the library where I was revising.

“It may have been during the same week as all of my exams, but seeing as it only took ten minutes of my time, there was no excuse not to vote.”

Selina Sykes, final-year French and History undergraduate, voted by proxy in her local constituency.  She wanted to vote in London as she would not be in Warwick next year.

“It was a very simple process in all – I filled out a form stating that I was a student and that I gave my mum permission to vote on my behalf.”

First-year Medical student Zoë Adwoa Forkin also went to vote despite having her exams.

She said: “I think it’s incredibly important to vote.  A lot of people don’t see the point in voting and don’t see the point in politics, but it has such an impact on all of our lives.

“If you are unhappy with the way things are, exercising your democratic right is a good way to help to change it.”

Similar opinion was expressed by Emily Baker, a languages finalist, who emphasised the importance of voting on graduate work opportunities.

She commented: “I did vote, as I think it’s really important to do so, especially as students just about to enter the world of work as we are inevitably going to be affected quite heavily by the results of elections, whether local, European or general.

“For me, it was absolutely worth taking what was realistically only a few minutes out of revision to vote as I know how important it is.”