The Walking Dead Series Blog: A

Rick, Michonne and Carl are finally reunited with Daryl, Glenn, Maggie, Sasha, Bob and their new friends Abraham, Eugene, Rosita and Tara. The downside is that they’re trapped together in a container in Terminus, the not so safe haven that the group had been heading towards for half of this season.

Things start off badly when Rick, Michonne and Carl are held hostage by the group that Daryl had become a part of last episode. It turns out that Rick had killed one of their men and now they were going to get revenge. Of course Daryl steps in and attempts to sacrifice himself for the trio but thank to the gang leader’s long monologue, the four manage to kill the entire enemy group, which included Rick biting a part of a man’s neck off and gutting another. Yes, he got that hungry and angry and now he’s eating necks. I was not really surprised because Rick has gotten progressively crazier and when it comes to people threatening Carl I’m sure he’d eat a lot of necks to make sure that he’s safe. I’m glad these villains had a short-lived life on the show, since they were just another stereotype that would have overcrowded the next season.

There’s calm after the storm when Daryl and Rick talk after the ordeal, with some meaningful glances and Daryl calling Rick his brother- the ‘bromance’ is back. Michonne reveals to Carl how she found her son missing and her boyfriend and his friend bitten when she returned to their refugee camp, and how she turned them into her pet walkers that we saw her with last season. It was touching moment that showed how much she cared about Rick and Carl, and hopefully meant that she wouldn’t be going anywhere soon.

The group head to Terminus where it is predictably revealed it’s not really a safe haven. They’re offered some questionable looking meat by their equally questionable host Gareth and after Rick notices his group’s belongings on other members of Terminus, such as Glenn’s soldier suit and Maggie’s poncho (ah ponchos…), they’re fired at from all directions and eventually forced into a container where they meet the other half of their group. Thankfully no one is dead yet, which is the most surprising part of this entire season. I’m pretty sure that Terminus is cannibalistic, and will eventually start attempting to eat their hostages, but Rick made it very clear at the close of the episode that they messed with the wrong people and I won’t be surprised if he eats the Terminus inhabitant’s necks too.

I was not really surprised because Rick has gotten progressively crazier and when it comes to people threatening Carl I’m sure he’d eat a lot of necks to make sure that he’s safe.

This was quite a slow and disappointing finale. Although most of the group is back together and it leaves the audience in anticipation for what will happen next, it was a pretty uneventful way to end the already slow half of this season. Season 5 seems promising, with so much set up that’s taken almost half of season 4 and so many questions to be answered and people to be found, there’s room for a lot of action. This episode also featured flashbacks of Hershel and was showing life was before the prison was overrun, which wasn’t really necessary amongst the Terminus plot. There are a few new characters now, which suggests that there will be some fatalities next season, maybe a few more than audiences are used to in order to make up for the pretty quiet finale.

The Walking Dead returns in the U.S. October 2014