News in brief – 30 April

Lecturers threatening to boycott marking exams and coursework had postponed industrial action earlier in April to consider a two percent pay rise. The boycott was postponed from April 28 to May 6. The offer made by the Universities and Colleges’ Employers Association (UCEA) had been put out to members of the University and College Union (UCU) in a ballot. Warwick Students’ Union also released a statement saying that it would not support the boycott.

There was no water supply on campus due to a burst pipe on Kirby Corner road on Monday 21 April. The burst pipe reduced the water pressure around campus until 1pm and the water supply was turned off for a permanent repair. Former Boar editor George Ryan tweeted “No running water on campus @WarwickUni until 5pm today apparently #thirsty”. The water supply was reinstated by 2.30pm.

Clean Bandit have been announced as headline act for the Warwick 2014 Summer Party. Tickets went on sale on April 28. The line-up for the main stage includes Foxes, Zane Lowe, Nick Mulvey, Chasing Grace, By The Rivers, Arkon Fly, Nick Brewer and Asian Death Crustacean.

There have been investigations into the threat of an extremist Islamic takeover of Birmingham schools after an anonymous letter in March claimed that schools could be pushed into adopting a more Islamic culture. The letter pointed towards an alleged campaign to replace governors and school leaders with Islamic sympathisers. The reaction to the letter has been described as a ‘witch hunt’.

Protesters gathered outside Leamington town hall on April 23 against plans to build thousands of new houses across Warwick district over the next 15 years. Protestors were concerned about the necessity of the planned houses and the impact of increased traffic and on the air quality.