“It’s too easy to graduate from Warwick with a first”

photo: Ann Yip

Photo: Ann Yip; photo below: Warwick Media Library

Warwick is among 21 UK universities that are making it easier to gain a good degree, according to a recent study.

Statistics published by the Higher Education Funding Council has shown that some elite Russell Group universities – including institutions such as Warwick and Oxford – have awarded more firsts and 2:1s than expected.

Graduate

The findings of the research come at a time where more students across the country are achieving good degrees and institutions are being accused of grade inflation.

Statistics from the University show that there was a sudden increase of Warwick students graduating with ‘good’ degrees last year in 2013.

75 percent of students graduated with at least a 2:1 last year and almost a quarter graduated with a first.

75 percent
of students graduate with at least a 2:1

There were 276 more students graduating with a first or a 2:1, a 10 percent increase from 2012. Meanwhile, the number of students graduating with a first-class degree increased by 105, a 12.5 percent increase from 2012.

This recent increase deviates from the relatively stable numbers over the past five years. From 2009 to 2012, there was no change in the proportion of students graduating with at least a 2:1 while the proportion of those graduating with a first increased by a mere five percent over the four years.

The figures from Warwick correspond to national figures where almost 75 percent of students graduated with at least a 2:1 last year and almost a fifth of students a first.

First-class degrees have nearly tripled since the late 90s.

Professor Alan Smithers from the Centre for Education and Employment Research at Buckingham University said: “The percentage of firsts and upper seconds they choose to award actually contributes significantly to those tables so there is quite an incentive to award good degrees.

Firsts and upper seconds have gone up too rapidly for it to be genuine improvement – Professor Alan Smithers

“Almost certainly there has been inflation in degree classes. Firsts and upper seconds have gone up too rapidly for it to be genuine improvement.”

Experts suggest that the increase in good degrees being given may be due to better teaching or the ability to identify those with high academic potential.

Chinwe Nnajiuba, a fourth-year History and Spanish student, said: “In my experience, you have to do a pretty appalling job to get a 2:2 or lower.

“I don’t know if that is because markers want to make the University look good, or because generally the 2:2 standard is too low.”

Peter Dunn, head of communications at Warwick, said: “Our students’ great performance results from two mutually reinforcing facts. The typical applicant needs very high grades to get into Warwick in the first place and, when they do, they tend to be particularly career focused.

“We then benefit from a virtuous circle in that the outstanding academic and career success of our graduates then attracts even more great and motivated students.”