School students show off their research. Photo: Warwick Media Library

Young scientists present research at Warwick

Budding scientists from 12 local schools presented a variety of research projects at the Ogden Science Fair, that took place at the University of Warwick on Thursday 20 March.

More than one hundred children aged 5-14 impressed leading academics from the University at the event, which was jointly organised by the University and the Ogden Trust School Partnership.

Schools from surrounding areas Leamington Spa, Coventry, Warwick and Southam attended.

Talking before the event, Amanda Poole, Ogden teacher fellow at the Phiz Lab at Shrubland Street Primary School, Coventry, said: “The enthusiasm for this, our first science fair, has been phenomenal.

“Over 750 children have completed and entered amazing projects. Many of our partnership schools have already had their own in-house science fairs to share them with parents and their school community.

“The Ogden Science Fair will bring together the best of these projects to showcase the extraordinary curiosity and talent of the young scientists in our region.”

Meanwhile Ally Caldecote, Ogden school teacher fellow at the University of Warwick’s Department of Physics, said: “The Ogden Science Fair has already shown the amazing range of upcoming scientific talent developing in our region.

“From the biggest stars in the solar system to the atoms that make up our world, the finalists have shown a real passion for understanding the world around us.”