Photo: Flickr / Jeff Wallace

Work the Summer trends, even in the cold weather

Emma O’Neill gives a winter-friendly recap of the Spring/Summer trends for 2014.

After waiting in desperation for the knockout designs of September’s Spring/Summer Fashion Weeks to hit the high street, the time has finally come. There’s only one thing standing in one’s way of marching into Topshop and bagging a beautiful, summery item: the winter weather. Despite seeming a long way, is there a way we can wear Spring/Summer trends?

Colour (Yes, it really is that simple). A standout item from September’s shows was Prada’s flamboyant Mural Bag. Love it or hate it, the bag encapsulated the art-inspired collections that defined the weeks, featuring across brands including powerhouses Fendi, Chanel and Dolce & Gabbana. Coats, tops, dresses, hats… whatever! Just make it colourful!

In Britain’s current arctic climate the white blouse works perfectly. Wear it with jeans in the winter and a floral, mini-skirt in the summer – it is the transitional piece you want in your wardrobe. Moreover, it seldom goes out of fashion, so treat as a smart investment!

Tapered or tailored trousers with a baggy flair provides a new edge on office chic – ideal for looming summer intern interviews! Team a high waisted pair with a neutral top to emphasise the waistline. Spring/Summer is all about clashing patterns, particularly this season’s idyllic flower print.

Bomber Jackets are back, but this time with a sophisticated twist. Prepare for silk, satin and embellishment, as the bomber has been adapted for eveningwear. Wear with a pair of ankle-swinging cigarette jeans and heels for that sexy-without-trying-too-hard look!

Accessories: appropriate to wear whatever the weather! I would best describe this season’s shoes and bags as creative, bold and daring. Whether architectural or reflective, heels are about making a statement, with incredibly eye-catching designs that are perfect for dolling up minimalist outfits. In terms of bags, some designers have gone a little loopy and have created, what I would best describe as, ‘clutches in disguise’. Some look like books, others like stuffed animals and Olympia Le-Tan have even created something that looks like a can of tuna. But don’t feel the need to go that far! You can still capture the fun of SS14’s novelty bags by opting for vibrant arm candy that you may not normally buy – there’ll be plenty to chose from! If you’re a minimalist by heart, leather totes with laser-cut patterns are ultra-summery and look beautiful in white or pastel colours.