Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Warwick Student creates online taxi sharing scheme

A Warwick University student has created a scheme that will potentially help students reduce their travel costs.

Nic Porschke has set up a Facebook page called ‘University of Warwick Taxi Sharing’ where students can post when they are planning to get a taxi to and from train stations and airports.

The first year Economics, Politics and International Studies student, who is from Germany, told the Boar that he created the page on the back of his own experience of the cost of getting to Birmingham City Airport.

Students who wished to use the scheme message the page with their travel details and then they are put in touch with others who they could share a taxi with.

Megan Armitage, a third year history student, told the Boar: “The scheme is a great idea. I have never used taxis to get home because of the cost but I may now consider it”.

As the service is free, Nic welcomes donations through PayPal which he will use to develop the scheme further, including launching an app that will make the process easier and more accessible.

Although currently focussed on journeys to airports and train stations, he hopes that it might be used for students on nights out in Coventry and Leamington.