Photo flickr; dachalan

WACS to send students to trek in Hong Kong

Warwick Asia Careers Society (WACS) will be sending 15 students on a trek to Hong Kong which will enable students to gain a stronger understanding of the financial market in Hong Kong and Asia

As an integration with Asia Investment Banking Conference (AIBC), the Trek will take students to firm visits with nine renowned financial institutions and businesses including Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, Bloomberg and Standard Chartered.

Students will also meet with Warwick alumni in the human resources, information technology, retail, entrepreneurial and financial sectors, and attend an exclusive networking cocktail event with Credit Suisse.

During the trip, students will be able to tailor their CVs and fast-track them to recruiters.

The trip will also give students the opportunity to participate in the London School of Economics (LSE) Asian Investment Banking Conference and to participate in a case study competition with AIBC delegates.

Shaun Chui, president of WACS and Engineering and Business Studies student, explained the choice of city for the Trek: “Hong Kong is the financial hub of Asia.

“Corporates, banks, investment bodies and many financial institutions have their Asia-Pacific headquarters in Hong Kong. This means the main recruitment and human resources body for Asia-Pacific offices are also based in Hong Kong.”

On the fact that the trip relies heavily on networking, he explained: “networking is hugely important, especially in Asia.

“Firstly, the diversity of cultures in Asia is very complex and knowing the right people to connect to another will definitely help elevate cultural barriers and ensure efficiency in business operations.

“Secondly, cultural values play a huge role in Asia’s business practices. Just to give an example, successful Chinese businessmen these days usually have a very difficult history. Many may have come from poor families, undeveloped communities and potentially tortured under Communist rule.

“Now that they are successful, they demand a much higher degree of respect, authority and appreciation. This is the culture of China.

“Doing business with Chinese clients means being able to understand their culture and appreciate their background and build a strong relationship. This is why relationships are important in China.”

Students will also be able to see and experience some of the attractions of Hong Kong in the six-day trip.

“[W]e might be bringing them to Hong Kong’s famous Hotel ICON Asian buffet, Australian Dairy Farm Limited, ‘Cha Chan Tengs’, definitely Lan Kwai Fong and CityHall Maxim’s DimSum Palace,” Mr Chui added.

“We’re an Asia focused society after all, so we know the best places to visit and eat!”