Photo: Wikimedia Commons

University of Warwick Bookfest set for May

On Saturday 17 and Sunday 18 May, BookFest, the University of Warwick Book Festival, will take place on campus at Warwick Arts Centre.

War Horse author Michael Morpurgo and the real-life inspiration behind the Oscar-winning film Argo, Tony Mendez, are two of the names featured in this year’s Festival.

Charlotte Mathieson, the Director of BookFest, has commented that: “The Festival brings an exciting array of authors here to the Warwick campus”, and the event, “showcases the excellent literary activities that are already taking place at Warwick.”

On Friday 2nd May BookFest will launch an event with War Horse author Michael Morpurgo and musicians John Tams and Barry Coope.  This event brings together readings from War Horse and music composed by John Tams for the award-winning theatre production.

The Festival weekend of 17-18 May includes Louis de Bernières talking about his latest work, Tony Mendez discussing his life as a CIA Agent, as depicted in the 2012 film Argo, and a panel of Guardian journalists and intelligence experts debating whether Edward Snowden is a traitor or a hero.

Clare Mulley, author of The Spy Who Loved, will lead a panel on female secret agents.

Acclaimed historical fiction writers Anita Mason, Andrew Crumey and Willliam Palmer will discuss the rise of interest in historical novels.

Dr Mathieson, has said the event aims to: “cultivate an enthusiasm for literature and the written word across the region”, and to, “engage new audiences in activity on the Warwick campus.”

Tickets are on sale and can be purchased from Warwick Arts Centre box office. Find the full BookFest programme at www.go.warwick.ac.uk/bookfestival.  ​