Photo: University of Warwick

Science Park celebrates 30th anniversary

The University of Warwick Science Park (UWSP) is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year, since opening its first building.

The Park was one of the first university-based science parks in the United Kingdom and was opened by the Rt. Hon. Margaret Thatcher in 1984.

The park hopes to mark the anniversary by helping more firms start up and evolve.

It now encompasses over 20 buildings providing office and lab space across three sites in Coventry and Warwickshire. It is home to more than 130 businesses.

750 businesses have been based at the UWSP in the 30 years since it was opened.

The support provided by the park includes a combination of marketing, finance, strategy or mentoring.

£36.7 million has been raised by the UWSP business support team and they have also helped to secure more than 750 jobs in the last decade.

David Grindrod, acting director at the UWSP, told the Coventry Telegraph: “One of the philosophies behind the Science Park was to provide all the components needed to develop and grow new technology businesses, whatever their requirements.”

“That was at the heart of the Science Park 30 years ago and it remains the case today.”

“Over that period of time the Science Park has evolved to meet the changing delivery needs of our businesses and we have broadened that offering by reinvesting some of our income into business support.”

“The support we provide is available to firms right across the region – even beyond.”

He added: “Over the years, we have helped thousands of companies and individuals and we want 2014 to be our biggest yet when it comes to business support.”

“Our specialist expertise in this field has helped over 600 companies refine their propositions and products/services as well as accessing market opportunities.”

“Impartial advice from our specialist business support team has helped thousands of businesses grow, which leads to more prosperity for the region. As such, the Science Park is actively supporting the local economic agenda.”

James Ahier, a third-year Physics undergraduate, commented: “Innovation provides the key to growth and the UWSP provides all the tools to help small businesses do this.”

“The UWSP should be proud of its achievements to date and continue to improve its support of small businesses in the region.”